5- Roasted, Literally

Chapter 5- Roasted, Literally

I stared at my empty pill bottle next to my plate of untouched chicken wrap. My pill ran out! I was supposed to take it once a day and everyday before lunch, no exception. I had calculated time and again that this bottle would run out the day after tomorrow! That meant my calculation was wrong by two.

I grimaced, mentally scolding myself for not checking carefully yesterday.

Stuffing the empty bottle in my jacket pocket, I dreaded for what would happen. I was not being overly dramatic. You could say I got addicted to this pill mentally. I had been taken them for 4 years. It was the special recipe that my aunt invented just for my case. She would give me 1 bottle with 35 tablets every month. Today was the second day of June and I should have precisely 2 left.

My parents told me that I had always have more tendency to get fever than kids my age. I guessed it was their way of saying that I was a very unlucky kid that with the worst recessive trait.

Only Kat and Les knew. I had never spent time with other people long enough for them to see me taking it everyday.

I had attempted to call Aunt Casey several times to no avail. I supposed she was too busy waiting for the result of her experiment in the laboratory. (Or maybe she was just searching through her closet for a nice dress to wear to her dinner appointment with that Collin guy.)

"Why are you glaring at those chicken wraps? If you don't want them, I'm more than willing to get rid of them for you." Isaac spoke up causing me to jump. Yes. Isaac invited himself to sit with us (me and Kat) at lunch. "There's no way you're getting my food from me." I said, picking a piece up and taking a bite to make the statement even clearer. "Chicken wrap makes the top three in the list of things I don't share."

He went back to fiddling with his camera. "Interesting. What else made the list?" "Apart from other foods, my cat and my opinions on politics." I said.

I couldn't really decide how to act around Isaac. I suspected him to be Cryonics AKA the guy who saved my life, broke into Brackenbridge's most famous bank, and this morning had just canceled an important meeting by freezing the tires of the mayor's car and breaking into his manor. Rocestor pretty had woken up to an Antarctica environment.

I tried not to think about that unpleasant theory too much since Isaac was not half as sarcastic as Cryonics. (Maybe he was trying to pull off the innocent Clark Kent look.)

I was about to take another bite off my food but the chicken wrap crumbled in my hand. The black fragment of the charred dough fell onto my plate. I stared at it in shock. That's when I realized the plastic fork my another hand was resting on was starting to melt, giving out unpleasant smell. I quickly snatched up my plate and bolted up.

Kat and Isaac flinched at my sudden movement. "What's wrong?" Kat asked. "Nothing. I just realized I forgot my--pencil case in Algebra class." I said over my shoulder, trying to hide the paper plate that was starting to, for some random reasons, catch fire. "I can go get that for you." Isaac said. "No, it's fine. I'll be right back." I assured quickly, trying to control my voice from trembling.

I dumped the chicken wrap ash into the bin along with the burned plate and exited the crowded cafeteria, my heart racing with fear. My balance had worsened even though it's already horrible to begin with. I walked into people several times causing complaints to boom up along the way.

"Jamie! Wait!" Isaac called after me, rushing my way. I turned to look at him for a split second and crashed straight into someone at the exit. We both stumbled into the wall.

Chatters rose from the crowds and my cheeks heated up even more. There was even camera flash from school journalist.

"What?" Les managed to speak out, staring at the messed up sauce on his shirt. He was practically wearing his lunch. He looked beyond pissed and I didn't blame him.