8- Don't get blood on my skate shoes

MHow do you like this book so far? :D

- Ida

Chapter 8- Don't get blood on my skate shoes

"A cheeseburger with medium fries and small coke, please. Takeout." I told the red haired girl behind the counter and turned to Les. He was too busy staring at his phone screen. "Les?" I waved my hand in front of him and he looked up. "Same thing as yours." He muttered, reaching for his wallet in his jeans pocket. "Dinner's on me, Les." I reminded him. "I lost."

He looked at me weird. "You took that seriously?" I nodded and he stuffed his wallet back into his pocket without hesitating. "Well, thank you, then." He smirked lazily, throwing his sport bag for his skate shoes over his shoulder. Typical Les.

Cool breeze of the night fanned into my face as we exited from the backdoor of the cafe. It was a not far from the skate rink so Les left his car parked over there. A couple of street lamps flickered, emitting a low buzzing sound. Dry leaves made crunching sound under my sneakers and our footsteps were the only sound created in the quiet parking lot. The light from the restaurant's colorful LED signs faded every steps we took.

I muched on my food. Nothing is better than junk food after a long, tiresome day. (Could have been better if didn't have to pay for Les though.)

"Thanks for the rides." I stated.

"Any time." He shrugged, sipping his drink. "If I get free cheeseburgers everyday, sign me up as your chauffeur." Les looked paler than usual today or maybe it was just the lights playing tricks on my eyes. He slouched occasionally too. Les never slouched.

"Tough practice?"

"Casting for the biggest event is coming up." He pushed stray hair from his eyes. "Can't go easy."

There were a few men smoking by a group of parked motorbikes. Even though it was night time, they still had their sunglasses on. What was that even for? I didn't see their eyes but I noticed their heads turning our way as we walked by. Goosebumps raised to my skin and I shivered, my fist clenching around the red paper cup.

Les didn't make it obvious he noticed them but quickened his pace, pulling me along.

For once, I was glad Les didn't give up to my stubborness and let me walk home myself.

We were about 5 meters away from Les's car when I heard footsteps behind us getting louder and louder. "Hey!" Raspy voice cut through eerie silent of the night.

Les stiffened next to me. "Keep walking." He whispered. My heart rate accelerated when I saw 2 of them rounded in front of us and stood there firmly. Les turned around and cursed under his breath. Another 2 of them were also behind us.

We were surrounded.

Okay, I know now why they had their sunglasses on.

Les stepped back toward me, his gaze trained on the strangers.

"I said hey." The bald one with enoug tattoos to pass as a turtleneck sweatshirt taunted. "I'm sorry, we're in a rush. Our friends are expecting us at the cafe over there." Les lied calmly. "Please, let us pass." The men laughed as if Les just told them the best joke in the world. "Please, let us pass, the boy said." He mocked, booming out a laugh that made him sound like a wailing bulldog. "We say you pay us and we'll let you pass." He jabbed a stubby finger at Les's chest, pushing him back.

"Come on, man." He sighed, standing his ground firmly in front of me. "For real? There's a girl—"

"Shut up or there won't be any girl." The guy behind me flicked his wrist, giving out unmistakable sound of pocket knife clicking. "The one that's alive, that's it."