9- The grey area

If you have any questions, comments, critiques, or theory, just comment down below. I'd reallyyy appreciate your comments! I'm very new here and I'm so excited my book is being read by someone other than my family XD.  If you like this chapter, plz vote or comment to let me know! Thanks for all the votes, guys! :D

- Ida

Chapter 9- The grey area

I had to pick lock of my own house with a hair clip because Aunt Casey wasn't home by the time I got back.

I got 34 missed calls when I checked my phone. 29 from Aunt Casey and 3 from Kat, and 2 from a number I couldn't recognize. I assumed it was Isaac's. Seeing it was already 10 o'clock, I dragged my drowsy self down the stairs. Sound of raindrops splattering on the roof echoed throughout the townhouse. The TV was left on. Aunt Casey's back. I expected to smell burnt toasts and hear chaotic clanking from the kitchen. I was surprised when sweet aroma of roasted coffee beans and pancakes greeted me as I stepped into our kitschy living room. I contemplated grabbing Aunt Casey's aquamarine vase with me for my protection.

The chance of my aunt cooking something edible was as slim as finding a Dodo bird in our fish tank.

Dodos are extinct.

And we don't even own a fish tank.

"If cooking means occasionally burning up stuffs and dropping forks on my foot then, you could say I'm pretty good at it." Aunt Casey giggled. Since when did my aunt giggle?

"Cooking is a form of an art, Cas. I have been telling you that since the first time you--"

"The first time I attempted to bake a cake for your birthday and failed big time." More laughter. "I do remember that."

I opened the door to the kitchen to see my aunt, still in her black sequinned tube dress sitting at the table. A guy in white dress shirt and black slacks who had his back to me was in front of the stove. Their heads snapped toward me, looking like 2 deer caught in the headlight.

This guy has dark blue eyes and tousled dark hair. Even though he looked young, he was no teenage boy like those guys at my school. Add a suitcase and you get a younger version of Pirece Brosnan's Thomas Crown. "Good morning?" He said, unsure. Irish accent, check. 5 o'clock shadow, check. Aunt Casey blushing and in dress, check.

Final verdict. This guy must be Collin Kavanagh.

"Hello?" I greeted and snatched my blue jacket hanging upon a chair, throwing it on. I was in my pyjamas pants and a green campaign t-shirt for polar bears lovers 3 decades back.

Collin cleared his throat and my aunt finally spoke up. "Jamie, this is Mr. Kavanagh. Mr. Kavanagh, this is Jamie, my niece."

Collin shot my aunt a disapproving look. "Please call me Collin." He said casually, filling up a large ceramic plate with pile of pancakes before setting it down on the table carefully.

"Okay, Collin." I replied and when he had his back to us I whispered to my aunt. "What? When? How?" My aunt sipped her black coffee, using the mug to hide her reddened cheeks.

"She got your message and she was worried about you being out so late so we drove to the skate rink to check on you." Collin explained from the sink.

Does this guy have super hearing or I'm just a loud whisperer?

"Turned out we couldn't find you there. Then, the news about the super attacks incident came up and Cass went crazy. You didn't pick up her calls. It was midnight but she insisted we stop at the police station to ask about you."