11- Missing case: Casey Dunne

Chapter 11 - Missing case: Casey Dunne

It was almost 1 AM at Kingfisher library and my aunt still hadn't arrived. I was starting to panic. I phoned her several times but she never picked up. This was not normal. She would never leave me alone outside at time like this. 

Staying in a dark library alone used to make the top ten of my bucket list. Young Jamie thought it must be so cool to spend the rest of her life in the library. Pfft. 

My phone vibrated and an unknown number flashed up. I picked up instantly, hoping it was Aunt Casey borrowing someone's phone to call me. She forgets to charge her phone quite often. "Jamie?" A masculine voice said instantly. "This is Collin. Is Cass with you?" He sounded like he was in a rush. There was a lot of interruptions resembling sound of very harsh wind. 

"No. I have been trying to call her all night!" I said. "Where are you?" He asked worriedly. "Sorry, Collin. You have to tell me what's going on first otherwise I cannot tell you where I am." He groaned in frustration. 

"Oh, Cass, You taught her too well. Don't make any phone calls. Don't attempt to go back home alone, you hear me?" "What happened?" I demanded. I just knew this Collin guy exists this morning. He could be a criminal for all I knew. "I want you to stay in place if that's possible, Jamie. I will--" 

I hung up and did the opposite of what he told me to do.

I got up and grabbed my backpack. The police station was 10 minute walk from here. I needed to find out where my aunt was.

- - - -

"Jamie Devlin. I'm 16."

"Name of the missing person?" A blonde woman in police uniform behind the counter asked. Her name tag read Diane Browning.

"Casey Dunne." I replied. "She's my aunt."

"When did you last see her?"

"This morning. She dropped me off at school. She went to work at science center. SPD. Super Power Research Department."

"Anyone here with you?" Diane asked after typing on her keyboard.

"It's just me. I live with my aunt. My parents are in the outskirt of Brackenbridge."

"Any relatives you could stay with meanwhile?" 

I sighed, my worry for Aunt Casey increasing every seconds. "Can I make a phone call?" I asked slowly. Collin told me not to make any phone calls. 

I didn't really believe him but I guess using the police station's phone would be the best way to play safe in any situations.

She nodded and let me behind the counter to make my call. I called my parents first. They didn't pick up. It was 1 AM. If they were to come pick me up, they would arrive here just in time to have lunch with me tomorrow.

I contemplated calling Kat but she has 2 younger brothers. One of them was barely 1 year old. I didn't want to be a burden.

Without thinking, I dialed Les's mom's number. Aunt Amelia had always said I could call her if I ever needed anything. She picked up. "Hello?" She said softly. 

"This is Jamie. I'm so sorry I have to call at this time, Mrs. Logan."

"Jamie? No, it's fine, sweetie. What happened?" She asked.

"My aunt is missing." I said, my voice cracking pathetically even though I tried to stay strong.

"Oh, dear." She exclaimed in shock. "Okay, Jamie. Where are you? Which police station, dear?"