10- Peter lost his shoe

Chapter 10- Peter lost his shoe

Since there were about 5 cop cars surrounding my house yesterday and the fuss had been all about spotting the super villain, Cryonics, it didn't take that long for a dozen of reporters to come knocking at my door, hoping to find a spicy scoop. I found hiding myself from them to be a ton more difficult than hiding myself from Cryonics.

"Please consider contacting us. We aim to--" Make profit from fabricating stories for the news. I added in my mind as I continued on ignoring the reporters behind the door I was leaning on. The coffee mug containing instant noodles warmed my hands. I twirled the mono sodium glutamate saturated noodle around the chopsticks and finished my meal. I wasn't sure if it should be counted as a lunch or a breakfast.

After 5 more minutes of a rant about how much of an idealist she was, a business card of that reporter was slipped underneath my door so after I have thought about it, I could call them.

That was the seventh business card from that morning alone.

My phone vibrated in my jeans pocket I checked it. A message from the strange number flashed on the screen. "Hey, this is Isaac."

I placed the mug down on the table. There was still some noodle hanging from my mouth. Of course, it's him. My theory about this new guy's alter ego being Cryonics stood quite firmly. He just popped into my life and decided to be friend with me. That's very suspicious.

"Did Kat tell you about the meeting today?"

Yes, that girl practically screamed at me via phone for not picking up her calls and not informing her about my meeting with the fearsome super villain. Good thing I could turn down the volume on my phone. Sometimes I just think it must be nice if people have volume adjustment or mute button on the side. But for some (*cough* Cryonics *cough*), they should have a hibernate button installed.

Or shut down would be even better.

You: "Yes. 4 PM. At Kingfisher Cafe. Right?"

Unknown: "Yes. Are you walking there?"

You: "I'll take the bus."

Unknown: "Ok, be careful. See you there :)"

You: "Later :)"

- - -

A few hours later, I was getting off the bus in front of Kingfisher Cafe. My day had been good so far. No Frost, no ice, no Cryonics in sight. That rhymed.

Kingfisher cafe is one of my favorite spots in this town. Not only because they have the best Thai tea cake but also they dedicated 2/3 of their cafe area for books. Kingfisher Library. It's paradise on ground for me. I started working there as a librarian assistant since I was fifteen. I still work their on the weekends. That's why I had my gray crew neck sweater with a Kingfisher illustration on. I intended to start working after the meeting's over. 

Air conditioner wind fanned into my face as I entered. The cafe was designed my Ms. Russo herself. Raw concrete wall was decorated in paintings and illustrations from books. White ceiling lamp illuminated the cafe with mild orange light. Simplicity is the key, everyone. 

Kat, Sammy, and the twins were already there, waving at me from a round table on the second floor. "Okay, we are missing only Isaac." Sammie noted. "I texted him. He will be a little late. Traffic's horrible. There's a super attack again." Dean said. I drummed my finger on the wooden surface, feeling my heart racing a little. In superhero movies, the guy that is always running late are usually the superhero undercover. Even Barry Allen AKA the Flash himself was late multiple times despite having super speed.