25- Counterpart

Chapter 25- Counterpart

"Thought you'd prefer calling him Frosty." Les said matter-of-factly, still trying hard to keep a straight face while watching my reaction. 

My hands flew to cover my mouth as a combination of a laugh and a sob threatened to escape from it. 

However, the former won so I laughed lightly with tear welled eyes as I attacked Les with a bear hug.

Not a bear hug, actually. More like a squirrel hug. A laughing squirrel who's on the verge of crying.

"I'd rather call him Les." I said, my voice muffling into his sweatshirt. Les stiffened for a second but let his arms wrapped around me after a few seconds. His chin rested on top of my head. Even though his touch was cold, it left hot trails on my skin as if liquid fire had been poured into my veins.

If Les wasn't Cryonics who had abnormally low body temperature to begin with, I may have roasted someone alive.

"Cryonics sounds cooler though." Les's typical playful laugh rumbled low in his chest. I could hear his heartbeat distinctly quickened, betraying his mean to keep cool.    

"Say something, Devlin." I was still speechless so Les placed the back of his hand on my forehead which was, no doubt, feverishly hot. "This house is not fireproof so please don't burst into flame."

I couldn't articulate my feelings.

Actually, forget about trying to explain them.

I didn't even know how to express them since I didn't know how I really felt or wanted to feel at that time.

It's said human has 6 basic emotions; happiness, anger, sadness,--. However, for the combinations of the 6 emotions that each situation we face mix up for us, I believe the possibility of the outcomes from each branches are endless. I had wondered how many emotions human can possibly feel at once when with too little, you'd feel empty and with too many, you'd feel numb. 

At that moment, it was the latter. 

I was shocked by the sudden revelation. I wanted to yell at him for not telling me after all these time and made me lower my guard down, confusing me countless times. Also, I was still flustered and all warm inside from what just happened. Then, there's this overwhelming urge to either break down or laugh with relief. I was relieved my Frosty is Les but the thought of losing them both at once to Les's sickness was unbearable.

It was almost like I hoped Les to by Cryonics but not really.

That was paradoxical but ,hey, since when did our feelings ever align?

I thought back to when Cicatrix tried to trick me into joining the villains and eliminating Cryonics to save Les. If I had believed her and not my instinct, I could only imagine what would happen. She couldn't even cure supers so my efforts would all be wasted in trying to kill the very person I'm determined to save. 

His arms were still around me when I flicked his forehead quite hard. "That's for lying to me, frost boy."

"Then what was that kiss for, fire girl?" He raised his brow casually but I could see his pale cheeks were tinted with red.

Glad to know I wasn't the only flustered one.

"Shut up, Les. I still hate liars." Heat flooded my face and I turned sideway as he bursted out laughing at my reaction.

"The only lie I had ever told you was I'm not Cryonics." Les said slowly, that teasing grin still played on his lips.

"You said I don't know you!" I protested.