Chapter 27

After bickering for a moment over the gifts, Karlie stubbornly insisting on carrying them all herself, Taylor shuts the car doors behind her before running up the steps to ring the doorbell. The girls giggle as they can hear an excited voice shouting, "I got it! I got it!"

Dixie flings the door open with a huge smile on her face. "Auntie Taylor! You made it!" She cries, flinging herself into the blonde's legs.

"Of course I made it. I wouldn't miss this birthday for the world!" Taylor replies, bending over so she can wrap her arms around the little girl in a big hug.

"Oh, I see how it is. I guess someone doesn't want their presents."  Karlie chuckles.

Dixie pulls away from the songwriter's embrace and stares at the other pair of long legs behind her, her head tilted in confusion trying to figure out who was talking to her since the person's upper body and face were obstructed by the stack of presents.

"That's ok, I'll just take these back to the car then." Karlie jokes, turning to the side, which allows Dixie to see who was talking to her.

"Auntie Karlie!" Dixie shouts, tackling the model's legs the same way she had Taylor's.

"Hey munchkin." Karlie laughs, unable to return the hug since her hands were full. "Happy Birthday."

Dixie shakes her head. "It's not my birthday yet Auntie Karlie. It's just my party. My real birthday isn't for a few more days. "

Karlie and Taylor laugh at Dixie's rant, both of them knowing it wasn't Dixie's actual birthday, but finding her explanation adorable nonetheless.

"Dixie!" Lily calls from inside the house, knowing who was at her door from her daughter's excited squeals. "Let the poor girls in."

Dixie pulls back and stares up at the two, quickly grabbing Taylor's hand. "Come on!" She tugs the songwriter's hand, practically dragging her inside. "I'll show you where the presents go."

Taylor laughs as she's dragged around by a 4 year old, turning back to shoot her girlfriend a sympathetic glance as Lily had made her way to the door to help Karlie carry the presents.

They come to a stop in front of one of the coffee tables that has a few cards and gifts on it. "They go here!" Dixie points to the table as Karlie and Lily enter the room, setting the gifts down on the table.

"These ones are from my mom and dad, but Mom says I can't open them yet." Dixie crosses her arms and pouts.

"You can open them later with your other gifts sweetie." Lily laughs.

Dixie pulls a mischievous smile. "Can I open Auntie Taylor's gift now?"

Lily shakes her head at her daughter while Karlie and Taylor laugh, knowing Lily's had to deal with this all morning. "No. You can open her and Auntie Karlie's gifts later during your party."

"Okay." Dixie sighs, dramatic as a 4 year old can be, turning around to go upstairs.

"Where's Caleb?" Taylor asks as the three women make their way into the kitchen.

"He's at the store picking up a few things for the barbeque. He should be back soon."

"Do you need help with anything?" Karlie offers.

"Not really." Lily shrugs. "I probably would have, but since I was up earlier than I thought I would be, I got most of it done. Can I make you two a drink or something?" She gestures for them to sit at the island counter.

"It's only 12:30!" Taylor laughs.

"It's only 12:30? Wow. It feels so much later." Lily sighs. "Oh well. My little girl is turning 4 today, so I think I deserve a drink. You two in?" She asks, looking back at her friends as Karlie exchanges a look with Taylor, silently asking if she was in or not. Taylor simply shrugged her shoulders as Karlie just kept smiling at her.