Chapter 28

"God I would give anything to be Dixie right now."

Lily looks over to her friend, finding her gazing towards the house. She moves too where Karlie is standing and rubs her shoulder consolingly, sending her a sympathetic smile. "Don't take it personally babe. Just give her some time. It's not easy for her to open up, especially when it comes to playing for others."

Karlie nods as she turns her attention to the brunette. "Have you ever heard her sing?"

"Once." Lily smiles, recalling the time Taylor played for her. "I've heard her humming to herself before and I've been there when she gets into one of her songwriting moods. She just starts talking to herself and making these noises and just zones in on it. She won't be able to concentrate on anything until she works through it. It's pretty intense."

"I bet." Karlie sighs wistfully. "I bet she sounds amazing."

Lily smiles at her friend but doesn't say anything. She's dying inside knowing the song Taylor played for her happened to be one she wrote about Karlie the night they met. As much as she would love to tell Karlie about the song, she would never betray Taylor's trust like that.

Karlie knows Lily well enough to know that her friend won't elaborate, but she can tell by the look on her face that it must be something incredible. "That good, huh?" She prods.

Lily just shrugs her shoulders and smiles before turning around to head back into the house. Karlie shakes her head knowingly and laughs. It just so happens her friend's took notice of the fact that she was alone and she mentally braced herself for the teasing she was sure was coming her way.

"Wow Karlie. How does it feel knowing your girl would rather play for a 4 year old than you?" Jourdan laughs, coming to a stop next to her.

Karlie simply rolls her eyes, taking her friend's joke in stride.

"So wait, you've never heard her sing?" Behati asks.

The model shakes her head. "Not really. I mean, we've sang along to the radio in the car, but it's not the same. But if that's anything to go by, I can't imagine how amazing she must sound when she does sing."

Cara notices the doe eyed look in Karlie's eyes and tries not to smile at how whipped her friend is for this girl. "Does it bother you that she won't sing in front of you?" She asks.

"Not really. I mean, I wish she was comfortable enough to do it in front of me because I bet she's amazing."

The circle of models smile, sharing knowing glances at the lovesick look on their friend's face.

"Someone's whipped." Martha quips; making everyone laugh at the growing blush on Karlie's face.

"But isn't it weird that she writes songs for a living, but she won't play or sing in front of people?" Behati asks.

"I don't think it's weird. I mean, her songwriting is really personal to her."

"But she has to play in front of other people at some point right? What about when she's in the studio with them?"

"Guys." Gigi warns, sensing Karlie's growing frustration with everyone's questions.

Karlie sighs. "I honestly don't know. I don't think she really sings with other people around, other than maybe her close musician friends."

"I don't get what the big deal is, unless she can't sing. Is she that bad or something?"

Something inside of Karlie snaps. "That's enough." She practically growls out. "Don't talk about my girlfriend like that."