Chapter 60

When she decided to go looking for her girlfriend, the last thing the songwriter expected was to find the model out back, wielding an axe and chopping at a tree trunk like a goddamn lumberjack. She opens the door and gapes at the sight in front of her; her brain literally short circuiting as she watches Karlie raise the axe over her head, her muscles straining and flexing with the movement, and following her momentum as the axe comes down and splits the branch right off.

"What the hell are you doing?"

Karlie's head whips towards the cabin at her girlfriend's outburst. A sunshine smile comes to her face as she lifts her forearm to wipe her brow slicked with sweat. "Chopping some wood for us."

"I see that. Where did you find all this?"

"I found the axe in the shed."

"And what about the tree?"

"Well..." The model trails off with a nervous chuckle and flushed cheeks. "I found that in the woods."

"You chopped down a tree in the woods?" The songwriter dead pans, though she's actually quite impressed.

"Not exactly."

The blonde leans against the edge of the door frame and crosses her arms; quirking her eyebrow as she waits for an explanation.

"I did find the tree in the woods, but I didn't chop it down. I knocked it down."

"What does that even mean?"

"Well..." Karlie nervously scratches the back of her neck. "When I went to look for some branches we could use, I noticed this tree was leaning pretty bad. And all the leaves were gone, and it looked kind of dead. So, I pushed at the trunk a few times and the whole thing just fell over."

At the incredulous look her girlfriend is giving her, the model continues. "So, I dragged it back here, went to the little storage shed, grabbed the axe, and started chopping."

The songwriter stares dumbfounded, trying to figure out how her girlfriend managed to knock down a tree. "So, you just went into the woods and knocked down a tree?"

Karlie bobs her head slowly. "Pretty much."

"Are you like, secretly the hulk or something?" Taylor asks, and she knows it sounds incredibly sarcastic. "I mean, I know you work out, but how did you just knock over a tree?"

The model laughs, seeing how her girlfriend would think that sounds crazy. "Come here." She says, holding her hand and wiggling her fingers, gesturing for the blonde to take her hand. "I'll show you."

Taylor reluctantly steps forward and laces her hand with her girlfriend. "Show me what exactly? How you transform into a werewolf or a vampire with super human strength or something?"

Karlie rolls her eyes. "This isn't Twilight." She laughs, leading her into the spot she knocked the last tree over. She looks around and spots another one starting to lean that looks pretty dead. "Okay. Look there." Karlie points out the tree. "See how that tree is leaning a lot and there are no leaves on it, and the bark is scratchy and dead looking?"

"Yeah." The songwriter nods, easily spotting the rather sickly, gnarly looking tree.

"Watch." Karlie moves over to the tree and puts both hands on the trunk, making sure she's pushing it into a fairly open area where it won't hit anything when it falls. She plants her feet and starts pushing.

Taylor watches her girlfriend pushing the trunk of the tree; the branches flailing back and forth, and then she hears a loud slow crack, and suddenly the tree is crashing to the ground right in front of her. The blonde gapes in awe at the model. "Holy shit. Are you Wonder Woman?"