Chapter 29

It had been a few days since Dixie's party, and the two hadn't gotten to see each other very much. Karlie was busy working on a few projects and Taylor had a sudden influx of requests for co-write sessions. So needless to say, when the songwriter got a text from the model asking her if she was up for a quick lunch date, she happily accepted.

Taylor was at a café, sitting at a table near the big window, waiting for her girlfriend. Karlie had texted her a few minutes ago to let her know she was on her way. So the blonde was scrolling through her phone, checking her emails and scheduling appointments she had for later in the week while she waited.

Upon walking in the café, Karlie immediately spotted her girlfriend by the window. She watched her eyebrows furrow as the songwriter looked at something on her phone and found herself grinning as she approached the table.

Taylor happens to look up just as Karlie approaches the table and flashes the model a bright smile as she stands. Karlie wraps her arms around her girlfriend. "Hey you." She says, pulling back to place a sweet kiss on the songwriter's lips.

"Hi." Taylor breathes out, leaning back to look at Karlie's bright smile.

"I'm sorry for running late. My meeting took a lot more time than I expected. Have you been waiting long?" The model rambles out in apology.

"It's okay. I was just going through some emails. I was only here for a few minutes."

"You want anything?" Karlie asks, taking Taylor's hand in hers as she gestures to the counter.

"I'll go with you. I'm not sure what I want yet."

They browse the menu while they wait in line, their hands remaining linked the entire time. When the person in front of them was finished, they stepped up to the register.

"What can I get for you ladies?" The barista asks with a polite smile. Karlie glances at Taylor, letting her girlfriend order first.

Taylor eyes the model for a moment, engaging in a little stare down. Karlie just chuckled and rolled her eyes, gesturing to the girl waiting to take their order. Taylor huffed, but turned to place an order anyway. "Can I get a medium blended vanilla bean iced coffee, please?"

The barista nodded, typing Taylor's order into the computer before looking to Karlie. "I'll take a medium strawberry banana smoothie, please." The girl added Karlie's order and glanced up at the pair. "Will that be all for you today? Would you like to add one of our fresh baked pastries or something sweet for dessert?"

Karlie looked at Taylor, silently asking if she wanted anything else. "Nope, that's it." Taylor says.

"Okay. Your total comes to $8.75."

Before Taylor can even reach for her money, Karlie is already handing the barista a $10 bill. She huffs in frustration, making Karlie laugh. The cashier hands back the change and the model drops it into the tip jar before moving off to the side to wait for their order.

"You know, one of these days I'm going to just shove you out of the way so you can't pay."

Karlie throws her head back in laughter and Taylor smiles at the sight, even as several customers are now shooting them strange looks.

Karlie shakes her head and smiles at the songwriter. She knows that Taylor can pay for herself, but she really likes being able to spoil her girlfriend as much as possible. Not that paying for coffee is a big deal, but she likes doing little things like that. It's just who she is. She takes care of everyone around her.

"I'm serious." Taylor says, trying to keep her face impassive, but she can't when Karlie's smiling at her like that.

"Stop looking at me like that!" Taylor laughs, bringing her hands up to playfully shove her girlfriend. "I'm trying to be intimidating and threatening."