Chapter 46

"Baby, please open your eyes. If you can hear me, squeeze my hand." Karlie begs, cradling the songwriter's motionless body in her lap. She is absolutely terrified right now, unsure what to do as she waits for some sort of response. Her girlfriend just passed out in front of her. Luckily she was standing close enough and was able to catch the girl before her body slumped to the ground. "Come on Taylor. Please open your eyes."

Everything had happened so fast. One minute Taylor was hyperventilating and gasping for air, and the next she passed out and was unnaturally still. With the blonde still unresponsive in her arms, the model awkwardly shifts her weight, reaching into her pocket to grab her phone and call an ambulance.

Before she can dial 911, the songwriter lets out a mixture of a whimper and moan. Karlie drops her phone, cupping the blonde's face with both of her hands.

"Taylor? Baby can you hear me? Can you open your eyes for me?"

Blonde lashes flutter, suddenly revealing confused and scared blue eyes. "Karlie?"

"I'm here. I'm right here baby." Karlie whispers, smiling in relief as she brushes away loose strands of hair from Taylor's forehead before settling on the side of her face; her thumb caressing her cheek.

"What happened?" The songwriter rasps, shifting in the model's lap as she takes in her surroundings.

"Hey, take it easy." Karlie says, helping the blonde sit up. "You were breathing really heavily and started swaying and then you passed out."

Taylor sits up, trying to recall anything Karlie just told her but her mind is a complete blank. She shakes her head, trying to clear out the haze. "I did?"

"Yeah. You had me really worried there. Are you feeling okay now?"

Taylor nods, wincing from the slightly jarring movement. "A little light headed." She admits, rubbing her temple. She can't remember much from the last minute or so, but suddenly she remembers everything from the last 24 hours and abruptly pulls away, wrapping her arms around her body as if to shield herself from the model. She sees Karlie's phone lighting up on the floor.

Karlie watches concernedly as her girlfriend pulls away. "I really think I should take you to a hospital."

"I'm fine."

"You're not." Karlie stares adamantly into stubborn blue eyes. "You passed out right in front of me. That is not fine."

Maybe it's the pounding in her head and the residual effects from passing out or maybe it's all the pent up emotions from the last 24 hours catching up with her, but something causes Taylor to snap. "Why do you care?" She spits, standing quickly, though rather unsteadily as she sways on her feet for a few seconds.

Karlie's mouth opens and closes, confused and baffled by the question. She's also a little offended to be the brunt of whatever frustration her girlfriend has been harboring. "Are you serious?" She scoffs, shaking her head in disbelief as she stands. "I care because you're important to me. You're my girlfriend for c\Christ's sake! You passed out in my arms. You've ignored my calls all day. And you called one of your closest friends in tears over something I apparently did! So, yeah. Excuse me for thinking I have any reason to care."

"Well, I'm fine." The songwriter says, refusing to budge. She notices Karlie's phone vibrating again, but the model ignores it. "Obviously I'm keeping you, so you can go."

Karlie's jaw drops. She's shocked at the cold shoulder and obvious dismissal. She knows she hasn't done anything to deserve being treated like this, so something isn't right. And she's not leaving until she figures out what it is. "I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what's going on."