Chapter 40

There's a nagging twinge in the model's lower back that pulls her from her otherwise blissful sleep. She tries to stretch the pain away, but can't without moving the body next to her. Karlie's eyes flutter open, focusing on her girlfriend sleeping peacefully beside her. She reaches over and gently sweeps blonde locks to the side, smiling at the content little hum the songwriter makes at her touch. Unable to stop herself, she leans over to kiss her girlfriend's forehead. She gazes adoringly down at the woman before her, continuously in awe of how incredibly lucky she is to have this beautiful woman in her life.

"Ahem."

It's the sudden clearing of a throat that startles the model, making her whip her head around to locate the voice. She turns around and sees Kristine standing behind the couch with her arms crossed. "You know, you have a perfectly good bed upstairs."

Karlie just kind of freezes, her mind going completely blank because she was so caught off guard. She was still trying to wake up, so she didn't really have proper brain function yet as she just stares apprehensively at her older sister.

Kristine smirks at the worried look on her sister's face, moving around the side of the couch until she's in font of the pair. She observes their position and chuckles. "I'm sure you two would fit much better on your queen sized mattress than you would on this couch. Though, I'm still trying to figure out why you two are down here to begin with." She says with a suggestive lift of an eyebrow, making sure to keep her voice down so she doesn't wake the other woman.

"We weren't doing anything. We just fell asleep."

"Mmhmm."

"We did! We got back late and laid down to watch tv and just fell asleep. That's all."

"Okay."

"Can you drop it please?"

The older sister puts her hands up defensively. "I didn't say anything. You're the one getting all flustered and bent out of shape about it. It kind of makes me wonder why that is."

"Kristine. Come on. Do you really think I'd try anything in Mom and Dad's house?"

"Relax will you? Geez. I just came in here to wish you happy birthday and ask what you wanted for breakfast. Mom wanted to know so she could start making it."

"Thanks." the model blushes, realizing she might have overreacted a bit. "Whatever she wants to make is fine. I just wanna let her rest a little longer." Karlie says, motioning with her eyes to her girlfriend still asleep.

"You're such a pain. It's your birthday you know. But whatever. Keep snuggling and being ridiculously cute with your girlfriend. But the twins will be up soon, and you know Kimby is making it her mission to embarrass you as much as possible this weekend." Kristine reminds her before heading back to the kitchen.

Karlie glances back at the sleeping blonde in her arms and begins lightly running her finger down her cheek, stroking her face gently. She observes her girlfriend's breathing and notices the pattern has changed. "How much of that did you hear?" She asks quietly, sensing the blonde wasn't really asleep.

Taylor rolls over, sheepishly looking up at her girlfriend. "All of it." She admits with a blush. "I woke up when I felt you moving. Do you need me to get up? Am I squishing you?"

"You're fine." The model chuckles. "My back hurt a little from sleeping on the couch, but it's okay now."

"Are you sure? I can get up."

"You're not going anywhere." Karlie grunts, rolling over and wrapping Taylor in a bear hug, nuzzling into her neck. The model litters her girlfriend's upper body with playful kisses and tickles, which makes the songwriter burst out in giggles. "Kar- Karlie stop! Karlie!! Why do you always do this to me?!"