Chapter 30

Taylor was browsing the aisles of the grocery store, restocking on some things she desperately needed when her phone started going off. She shifted the basket from her hands to her elbow as she quickly searched through her bag, pulling out her phone to see her brother's name flashing on the screen.

"Hello?"

"Hey. I got your text. What's up?"

"Nothing really. I was just wondering if Mom had mentioned what you guys were doing for the 4th?"

"Mmm." Austin hums thoughtfully. "She hasn't said much to me. But I know she mentioned a while ago that she wanted to try and go to Rhode Island. Why?"

"Well..." Taylor trails off hesitantly. "I was kind of thinking I might go with you guys this year."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. I'm free that whole weekend and I was thinking it might be nice to get away for a bit."

"Is everything okay?" Her brother asks, obviously concerned.

"Yeah, things are fine." The songwriter double checks her list, making sure she's got everything she needs before heading to the check out. "It's just been awhile since I went there and I miss you guys. I thought it might be nice to spend some time with you all."

"Mom and Dad would love that. You should totally come with us."

"You don't think they'd mind?"

"God no! Why would you even think that? You know how much they miss you."

"I don't know. " Taylor says quietly, stepping up to set her items on the conveyor belt. "I don't even know for sure if I'm going or not. I don't want to just show up out of the blue."

"Yeah, that might not be the best idea. Mom would probably have a heart attack." Austin chuckles. "But I bet Dad would love it. I swear he doesn't even care that he makes it obvious you're the favorite child."

"I'm not the favorite." The blonde argues, but she knows her Dad is definitely one of her biggest cheerleaders in life. "I don't know. I'll think about it."

"Wait, what about Karlie?"

"What about her?" Taylor sighs, swiping her card after the cashier gives her the total.

"Are you sure you don't want to spend it with her?"

"I mean, I've definitely thought about it. And I'd really like that. But she said she usually spends it at home with her family. I don't wanna get in the way of that. Her family is really important to her." She grabs all of her bags, smiling at the clerk before exiting the store and making her way back to her apartment.

"Well... What if she came to Rhode Island with you, or if you went there with her? That way you guys would still be spending it together."

"You don't think it'd be too soon for that?"

"Too soon for what? Meeting the families?"

Taylor hums in confirmation.

"Don't worry about that. Just do whatever feels right for you. There's no rush if you're not ready, but if you want to spend it together, do it. Just talk to her about it. I'm sure she'd be open to it."

"Thanks Aus." Her phone beeps with an incoming call. She pulls her phone away to check the screen. "I gotta go. Sel's calling me and if I don't hurry, I'm going to end up dropping these bags in the middle of the street."

"Don't do that." Austin laughs. "But seriously. Think about it. It won't hurt to talk to Karlie about it."

"I will. I'll talk to you soon okay?"