Beginning of a New Ray

This chapter introduces one of the main plots in the story... But you'll have to read to find out!

Ray POV

The environment in the advanced theater class seemed different the moment I stepped through the door of the room, shoulder to shoulder with Clara. Bright white lights shone on the center of the room, and the students all paid attention to the teacher, whose name I learned was Professor Bethany Monroe. She was a spunky young teacher with short brown hair up to the top of her neck, and pretty hazel eyes. As a professor at a university, I expected her to be older and... older. From that moment on, I instantly knew I would enjoy that class, but as long as I could get past the first day without looking like a complete idiot. That's exactly what my group from Mr. White's class happened to do.

Annie knocked on the door to enter the classroom. Professor Monroe glanced up from her teaching, as she was portraying an example of Shakespeare with a duo of students. She motioned for the students to take their seats, and my group sneakily walked into the class, handing the teacher our permission slips one by one. She chuckled. I tilted my head, confused on why she would laugh at us.

"Are you confused..." Professor Monroe calmingly grabbed my slip and read off my name, "Mrs. Hughes?"

I shook my head, afraid of what Monroe would do, but she only shook my hand, smiled, and pointed to a set of seats near the other end of the room, which our group sat down in.

As soon as we took our chairs, Monroe continued on her speech, quickly shooting a look to the two students who were on stage, "You two don't have to come back up here for the presentations. We'll do that later. Now, I have to hand out forms for our optional assignment." One student raised his hand, but the professor stopped him, "Don't raise your hand until I've told you what it is." The students burst out laughing, and Monroe giggled along. I smirked as well seeing a class so happy and cheerful.

The professor sighed and went on, "I am letting Mrs. Hughes pass out these forms while I explain. Will you?" She glanced over towards my location with a friendly grin, and I nodded. "Good." Monroe walked over to my seat, handing me a stack of packets. I read the title of the form before standing up: Hit List Audition Form.

"As I was saying..." Monroe returned to her position at the front of the class while I passed the forms down each row, "A friend of mine is producing a musical originally on Broadway, and needs actors for his cast. I told him that I teach an advanced theater class, and he thought it would be a brilliant idea if a few of my students would audition for the roles. I do realize that most of you have other jobs, but the select few that do not and want this job, I would please like you to fill out the form and return them to me signed in two days. Inside of the packet, there is the character audition sheets, which tell you each role and what you need to practice in order to audition. You can keep that sheet." The students started to groan. It seemed like Professor Monroe advertised her friends' plays too often, and they were tired of her endless soliloquies. "Did I mention that if you book a part, you don't have to attend class and will get an A?" The students quieted down, staring blankly at the teacher. Even I stopped walking just to intake the information she had told us. "The packet Mrs. Hughes is passing out is that form. Good luck to all of you." At that second, a loud bell rang. Monroe laughed, "I guess I'm lucky with you guys. I always am."

I ran to my seat to pick up my bag and meet up with Clara, who was studiously looking over the packet.

Clara gripped my arm while still glancing over the paper, "We need to audition for this."

"I don't know... I don't know if I'm ready..." I argued, unsure of my choices.

She nudged me shoulder. "Of course you're ready! You're probably older than me..." Clara paused, "How old are you?"

"Twenty-one."

"I'm nineteen, and I'm ready."

"Well, it takes a while for some people..."

Clara shoved the packet into my hands although I already held one. "I say that you audition for Amanda. I'm going for the Diva. She seems interesting."

I rolled my eyes and looked at the roles, noticing the part of Amanda was typed at the top, "Amanda is the main character."

"I know. And look below three parts."

I wasn't surprised. "The Diva."

"Read off the description for Amanda."

"Amanda is a girl who dreams of making it as a pop star. She lacks the necessary style in both her persona and her songs. Amanda steals one of the songs of her friend, Jesse, and uses them as her own to become famous celebrity Nina. She has a rivalry with the Diva which in the end leads to her downfall. Her relationship with Jesse is on-and-off as she is passionate about becoming famous."

"So? Wanna do it?"

I shrugged, "Sure. Why not?"

Clara high-fived me and I chuckled at her enthusiasm, "Yes! I'm not doing this alone! I bet you'll get it!"

I didn't believe how excited she was to audition for a musical. "How are you so sure?"

Clara seemed confident about what she said, "Those people in the class are actors, not singers. We're singers. Ray, this is a musical, not a regular old-fashioned play."

"How about other people who audition? Not from the class."

"Well... we'll deal with them," Clara smirked, "We've got some practicing to do, don't we?" I jokingly shook my head as Clara pulled me along to sign the forms inside of a close empty classroom. After twenty minutes of laughing about the funny scenes in Spring Awakening, Clara and I finally returned to Professor Monroe's room. She told us that we were lucky she didn't have a class at that time, or we would have had to come after-school, which neither of us wanted to do. Monroe was happy that we were so quick to join the auditions.

One thought was in my mind as I handed my form to the professor, "Broadway, here I come."

Hit List does not belong to me! Its rightful owner is the television show SMASH!