Chapter Four

Safaa..

My Mama woke me up for Subh and after praying,She made me have my bath.She kind of preached me about behaving like the way she groomed me while in my Uncle's house.I quietly watched her leaning on my left palm,wishing it could be an awful nightmare.

"Stop staring at me like that Safaa" She said smiling sweetly at me.

"Maa" I croaked.

"Shhh,I don't want to hear any of it"

"Maa who will I tell my problems to? Who will console me when I'm in distress? Maa you're the only one who handles my headaches,tantrums and everything,Mama please talk to Baba,I can't survive there"

"You're making all this sound like you're staying there forever Habibtee" She said caressing my cheek.

I hugged her and cried without saying a word.In her comforting warmth,I began closing my eyes drifting into sleep when Jibrin came to announce that Kawu Sunusi is already waiting for me outside.

"I'm not going" I protested tightening my hold on Mama.

"Don't be stubborn" My father said sternly.

"Baba you don't trust me now right? I'm your Safaa remember,the one that promised never to let you down" I begged sitting at my Baba's feet.

"Safaa" He called with his voice softening.

"Na'am Baba"

"You're going with Yaya whether you like it or not"

"Baba please"

"Enough Safaa,if you want my forgiveness then do as I say,just follow your Uncle and be a good girl" He said taking my hand and together with Mama they walked me to Kawu Sunusi's car.

"I love you Mama" I hugged my Mama one last time before entering Kawu's car.

"I love you too Safaa,take care of yourself for Mama okay?" She waved and used her other hand to wipe away tears falling from her eyes.

The drive to Katsina from Rigar Dala is about  two hours,so my Mama told me.I've never been out of Rigar Dala and I'm so scared of travelling.I kept squirming uncomfortably on my seat but the tycoon didn't even care to ask whether I get car sick or not.

I didn't get enough sleep last night,thankfully I closed my eyes and fell into a peaceful slumber.I opened my eyes to an unfamiliar surrounding with lots of beautiful and marvelous buildings,gawking at them,I asked the driver where we are.

"What is this place Bala?"

"Will you stop acting like the villager that you are!" My uncle yelled.

My eyes glistened with tears and I felt like giving him an answer but I didn't,I can't let Mama down this soon.I quietly watched from the car as we passed different places,the car didn't stop until we reached a house.

No scratch that,it's a freaking mansion.

I squinted my eyes as the gate open on its own accord,right that moment I couldn't help but hold my breath,admiring the magnificent mansion.

So Kawu Sunusi is this rich?

In the middle of the overly spacious house is something I know only in my textbooks,a fountain,the water comes out from different beautiful flowers and cherubs falling magically into the dark blue sea underneath it.

The other side of the house has a huge garden with lots of flowers and plants.It has a shed that I don't know about.Birds chirped merrily without any care in the world.