Bittersweet

"We all die in our sleep, a taste of death we always seek." - Me
•••••••••••••••••••••••••

FLASHBACK

"Mom can you please tell me the story about the princess with long hair." I say snuggling closer to my brown fluffy teddy.

She smiled and looked at me, the way her shoulders were sagged was as if something was bothering her but you could never tell by the big smile on her face and the glow in her eyes. Mom was beautiful, mesmerizing even. Her soft brown eyes that always complimented her light brown skin were shining and her hair was let down as usual after a long day at work. She let out a breath of tiredness and looked at me.

"I've told you that story a million times Taylor." She says tiredly.

I look up frowning at her causing her to giggle. When she giggles like that it always made me smile even though I really tried not to.

"Well could you please make that a million times and one more." I say giving her my sadest look.

She rolls her eyes and releases a small smile.

"Fine...."

"Yayyyy!!!" I say jumping up from my sleeping position and sitting up excitedly.

She starts laughing and starts walking towards my bed sitting infront of me.

"Well there was once a liitle girl wh-"

"Who lived in a tall castle I know!!! Just get to the good part already!" I say interjecting already impatient.

"Well since you know it alrea-"

"Okay fine!.... I won't speak again." I say pouting and crossing my arms.

She looks at me carefully and nods her head.

"Well this girl lived inside this castle with her mother an-"

"That man came today." I unexpectedly say remembering this morning's events.

Mom's body suddenly tenses and she stops talking. We've never really talked about that man that always came and visited her at night. Her face suddenly changes and she became angry.

"Taylor what did I tell you about opening the door when I'm not home!" She shouts at me her whole mood changing making me regret telling her.

"I didn't open the door, I ran and hid in your closet until he stopped knocking. The door was locked and I couldn't go to Mrs Caet because she wasn't home, I was scared mom.." I say starting to tear up and remembering how my heart was beating fast.

"Ohhw baby..." She says and engulfs me in a huge hug.

"I'm sorry.... I'm soo sorry I left you alone." She says her voice sounding strained.

She had left me alone this morning. I woke up to an empty house and an empty stomach. I hear her start sniffing her nose and gripping me tightly, she's crying.

"I don't know what I would do if I'd lose you." She says whispering in my ear.

For a six year old I knew more things than I was supposed to. I knew why my mom was gripping me so tightly, why her sobs were so painful, why at this moment she never wanted to let me go, it wasn't because that man made her scream every night but it was because of the promise he made to her, the promise that one day he'll take me and when he does, dammit when he does she won't know what hit her.