Columbine

Hello there friends, here is my last update for this week, I will be out starting tomorrow and will be back most likely on Saturday. It's a time for reflection and family, I hope you all have a meaningful time off from everyday life and come back rejuvenated. 

Sometimes, just when things seem to be back on track, when we are already back on our bearings, fate seems to like throwing in a monkey wrench to mess things up all over again. We ask ourselves why, we get angry and feel betrayed, we blame all the outer forces possible but seem to forget one thing. We are still in control of how we react to the things fate throws our way, and how we react is really what will control the impact of that monkey wrench.

The brevity of a situation can be controlled, you can look at a small problem and magnify it into something larger than life, or take it with a grain of salt and deal with it once and for all then move on.  The worst thing you can do is to let this monkey wrench hurt you, bruise and batter you, then nurture that pain till it festers into something that eats you up. The choice is clear right?  Here's hoping that you will always be in control of whatever monkey wrench fate throws your way :)

It was five days before the wedding, and Dei was excited and nervous for it. She loved the house that Richard got for them. It was a perfect place to start their life together, free of any stigma and history that would taint it. There, they could try again to start a family, and contrary to how she reacted the first time she discovered her pregnancy, this time she wanted to actively try for a baby immediately.

She was humming while putting her finishing touches on the cake she baked, excited to see what Richard's reaction would be to this new recipe. His parents went on a movie date at the mall, but would be having dinner with them. Richard promised to come home early since he had no client meetings and shoots this afternoon.

She was still staying with Richard's parents, just as both of them had insisted. Her closeness to them was a healing balm for her loss of the baby, and she felt so loved here. She hoped her marriage with Richard would last as long as theirs would, and that like them, they would also have at least three kids.

The doorbell rang. Dei washed her hands before checking to see who was at the door. She opened the gate, thinking it was Richard was surprised instead to see Shayne face-to-face. Finally.

Shayne looked like a movie star. She was wearing a simple white shirt, jeans and white sneakers. She wore Jackie O styled sunglasses. She looked so fresh and pretty, you would never expect her history of drug abuse, looking at her now.

"Oh," She said, suddenly uncertain. "Is this still the Faulkerson residence?"

"Yes it is, I'm just staying with them. Hi. I'm Dei," She said and extended her hand.

"Hello Dei, I'm Shayne. I'm a.......family friend."

"I know."

"You do?"

"Yes. Uhmmm, would you like to come in? They might be coming back any time now."

"No, it's ok. I was actually looking for Richard but he's also not around."

"Oh. He's.......He's on his way here.......actually."

"I see."

Dei's eyes suddenly caught something in Shayne's hands. It was their wedding invitation. How did Shayne get one? Did Richard invite her? She and Richard agreed not to invite people who would make the situation awkward on their special day. This was why they both agreed not to invite Shayne and Andrew. But here she was, with their wedding invite, looking for Richard. Was it to stop him from making a mistake?

They stood awkwardly for a few seconds, until Richard's car slid in front of his parents' gateway. He quickly got out of the car upon seeing Shayne standing by the gate. Richard passed Shayne and briefly hugged Dei, kissing her full on the mouth as if to send a message to Shayne.

"Jay, Shayne was looking for you."

"Shayne. So you met Dei, my fiancee. Did you need anything from me?"

"Can I speak to you in private, Richard?"

"No, anything you need to discuss with me, we can discuss with Dei around. Would you like to come in?"

"No, this won't take long. I just wanted you to know that I'm finally clean, Richard. I have been for six months now. I promised you I'd clean myself up and I did. I'm here for you now, Richard."

"Shayne, I'm happy for you. You do look well and I hope you continue with this."

"But what about us, Richard? I......I said I'd come back for you."

Dei felt like she was intruding  a private conversation. Smade a move to leave but Richard stopped her, his hand reassuringly running up and down her arm. She was feeling awkward, she didn't want to hear what they were talking about. She was feeling sorry for Shayne and felt how painful this must be for her.

"Shayne.........it's been over between us for a long time. We're getting married in a few days, please don't do this."

Frantically, Shayne turned to Dei, her eyes glistening with tears. 

"Dei? With all due respect, how well do you know Richard? What have you gone through together to merit a wedding proposal? What have you done for him, for his career? What lengths would you go for him, to show him how much you love him? Because I went through hell and back with him. I supported him and helped build his career. Can you do the same?"

"Shayne! Stop it. Don't take this out on her. I'm sorry, but you have to leave. I'm sorry it has to come to this, but it's better we don't see each other at all because obviously we can't even be friends."

"Richard....do I really mean so little to you? You're throwing our three years away just like that? If I didn't drop by your office, I wouldn't have known or seen this invite. Please............."

"Just go, Shayne. I'm really sorry."

He took her arm and gently led her out. She took advantage of the chance to cling to him and cried her heart out, with Richard awkwardly tried to comfort her. Dei, unable to take it all in, left them and went inside. She poured herself a glass of water and drank to calm her herself down. Shayne said things that hit home, and these words bothered her.

In a few minutes, Richard went in to follow Dei. She was washing the utensils she used for the cake she baked. The cake was already in a cake bin inside the refrigerator.

"Dei, I'm sorry about that."

"I baked you a cake, Jay. It's a new recipe, and it looks good."

"Are you ok, baby?"

"I don't want to talk about it, Jay."