Purple Carnation

It's a sad day for Aldub Nation, I know. It's so hard to be motivated when you know you are getting the raw end of a deal, right?

Well, when reality does not align with expectations, it messes up your balance and everything goes on a domino effect. But life is not constantly negative.  There will be a day when the sun will shine too. There will be a day when hearts will be together at the right time, the right place, and they will stay that way.

Hope you will like this chapter,  which will be a prelude to the present. Please share your thoughts as always :) 

Richard couldn't believe his ears. She was finally coming home with him. It didn't actually mean they were getting married soon, but it did mean they were good. He laughed and let out a whoop of joy, hugging her tightly, and then twirled her. They kissed, but quickly pulled away when they saw people walking around.

They went to their room to take a shower and get dressed, checking out of the resort and arranging for a car rental to pick them up. It was a Sunday, and Dei had only until next day to prepare herself for going home. Richard promised to extend one more day to wait for her so that they could return to Manila on the same flight back.

They shopped for souvenirs to bring home, this acting very much like a couple on honeymoon. When Richard saw Dei looking tired from all the walking around, he took her to his hotel room to rest. They curled up in the couch together, with her snuggling closely to him.

"Dei?"

"Hmmm?"

"Will you spend the night with me here?"

She turned to face him, pinching his cheek. "Aren't you sick of me yet? We've been together for three days now."

"I'll never be sick of you. I just want us to make up for lost time."

"Ok. But I can't stay with you tomorrow, baby. I will need to meet with Andrew, Frank and Linh tomorrow, to share with them my news. I need to talk to them about what to do with our clients. Will you be ok with me going back to Vietnam twice a month? I need to transition my clients slowly."

"No problem, sweetie. A day  or two away from you is ok because I will have you back finally."

He caressed her face with the back of his hand, noting how the rosy color of her cheeks are back, with just a few days of them being together. He felt a lump forming in his throat, thankful that he lowered his pride to follow her here and succeeded in finally taking her home.

"Dei........when we get back, I want us to start over again. Let's not rush to get married, that was a mistake, I know that now. But I hope, we can be together as much as we can, without really suffocating each other. I promise to let you have free reign over what you want to do. Don't feel pressured to come back to work, I know it will be awkward for us both if you do. But you're welcome to join the company again if and when you're ready to do so."

"Thanks for bringing that up, Jay. If it's ok with you, I'd like to remain a consultant for my clients here. I have a good practice here, and it's nice that these clients are receptive to my ideas. I also learned a lot from them."

"I'm so proud of you, Dei. I hate to admit it, but maybe the things that happened to us needed to happen. Look where you are now."

"No. I don't want to think that we needed to get hurt just to realize so many things about us. All throughout the pain of being apart, I kept thinking that if I lose you, I lost my chance of being with someone I love and loves me back the way I want to be loved. I became stronger also because you showed me that I am worthy to be loved."

"Are you ready to come back? Please be sure Dei. I can't take it if you'd change your mind again."

"I never doubted my feelings for you, Jay. You're right, let's not get married yet. Let's enjoy being together for a little while more."

-----

Next day. Dei  visited her clients to tell them personally that she would be relocating to Manila. She gave them options to have Linh or Andrew handle their account, but all five accounts wanted her to still take the lead. They were content with her plan to visit them twice a month, with two of them even willing to shoulder her fare and accommodations for every visit.

She was tired but she was all set. They were a work in progress, everything would be ok. She vowed to herself not to wait too long before they would get married, she wanted to be with him under one roof too. Her only remaining worry was Shayne, and how she was still afraid of her. But she was confident they would surpass everything together.

They had dinner with Andrew, Frank and Linh. Dei was happy to see Andrew and Richard finally at ease with each other, slowly forming a friendship. Andrew had a chance to talk to Richard when both Linh and Dei went to the Ladies room.

"Richard, take care of Dei, ok? You should have seen her after the holidays, man. I was so worried she'd need professional attention. Please don't lose her again."

"Thanks for looking out for her. I'll take care of her, don't worry."

"She's young and in need of affirmation, Richard. Please be a little more understanding if she seems immature at times. But she loves you, that's for sure. "

"Thanks Andrew."

He took Dei to her flat, reluctant to leave her. She clung to him, kissing his neck and chest, hugging him tightly.

"After tonight, I'll be able to sleep well, knowing you're back home with me."

"We still have a lot to talk about, Jay. Promise you'll try to understand?"

"I promise." He bent down to kiss her lips one last time.

-----

Richard was in the airport three hours before their flight. He called Dei, excited to be with her.

"Baby, where are you?"

"I'm still in my flat, no worries sweetie. I'll be there in 30 minutes."

"Can't wait to be with you baby."

"Same here, Jay. Now let me finish an email and then I'm off. I love you."

"I love you too. Hurry up."

With a laugh, he hang up.

An hour later, Dei still didn't show up. He tried calling her, her phone was ringing but got no answer. He assumed she was on the way.

Another hour passed, she still wasn't around. He was forced to check in for fear of being bumped off. He checked in both of their tickets and texted her seat number to her.

As of boarding time, he called her again but the phone gave off a busy signal. He called Andrew and was told he saw Dei leave more than two hours ago.

He texted her, but got no replies.

The last call for Dei was paged, but still no Dei.

He boarded the plane, waiting, hoping against hope that she'd arrive.

The passengers were getting antsy, till he finally agreed to let go. She did it again, she ran out on him.

The first time was painful.

The second time was unforgivable.

This was the end, as far as he was concerned.