Ivy 2.0

The much-awaited chapter! This is a glimpse into what happened when Dei missed her flight with Richard. This is also where you will get to finally meet MIke and who he is in Dei's life. I hope this chapter lives up to your expectations my dears, the truth is revealed little by little.

Our couple have a few hurdles to face, but these hurdles actually make them stronger and bind them together. It is also true that for every sad event, there's a silver lining that compensates for the sadness, and that's what happens here :)

Have a great long weekend my dears, I am stocking up on some advance chapters so that I can still post while our company goes on an outing in Subic from May 2-4. Don't be a stranger, ok? Keep your comments coming :) 

Richard was quiet as he drove to the hospital. He knew this was not the time to be selfish but he felt a little insulted that Dei called her "friend" Mike even while he was with her. He was going to discuss this guy Mike with her later, but for now, all he wanted was for her to get better. The rashes were now more visible, they looked like butterfly marks on her skin.

Dei was sleeping now but she was feverish. He drove into the ER entrance and asked for assistance to wheel Dei in. The guy Mike was already there waiting for them. As soon as he saw Dei being helped into a wheelchair, he approached. He let Dei talk with him, giving them the privacy to talk, then Dei was wheeled in and surprisingly, Mike approached him.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Mike Santiago, Dei's Rheumatologist. I believe you are Richard?"

"Yes doc, Richard Faulkerson."

They shook hands firmly. Richard didn't know if he was going to be relieved that Mike was Dei's doctor. It actually didn't prove anything, he was her doctor, their primary relationship may be that of doctor-patient, but he didn't know if their relationship extended beyond that. He remembered the time they were in Starbucks on SLEX and Mike's hand on Dei's. She didn't seem to mind his touching her and that bothered him.

"Richard, Dei told me to share with you what her condition is. What Dei is experiencing now is called a Lupus flare. I've been helping Dei manage her condition, she's been battling Discoid Lupus since three years ago."

Three years ago. His mind went on overdrive, remembering that fateful day in Vietnam when she missed their flight together. He remembered how he automatically assumed she changed her mind, how he shut her out, refused to listen even to Andrew about what might have happened. He was suddenly overcome with guilt for his selfishness and righteousness.

"Richard? Are you ok?"

He was jolted back to the present, feeling lightheaded. He was nauseous with misery over how stupid he was. All the events were racing back into his mind now, threatening to make him lose his composure. He had to take hold of himself.

"I need to sit down doc, I'm getting a little lightheaded. Is it ok to leave my car here?"

"Let's get you seated for a few minutes."

They sat down and he was given a bottle of mineral water. He was looking at all the hospital beds, wanting to see if Dei was ok.

"Dei's vital signs are being taken. This is her first flare in a long time, so don't worry, she just needs to take some rest. Since she's been following instructions religiously, the flare was most likely triggered by stress."

"Doc, you said she's being treated for Lupus for the past three years. How is she? Isn't Lupus life-threatening?"

"What she has is Discoid Lupus, which affects the skin mostly and not the internal organs. We are being careful though that it does not progress into something more serious. Keep her away from sunlight, that's what triggered her attack in Vietnam."

He remembered that they spent a few days on the beach, unknowingly exposing her to the very danger that triggered her attack. He was saddened for her, she loved the beach and being under the sun.

"Doc, what will happen to her now?"

"She needs to be admitted but just for 48 hours at the most. We'll give her some anti-inflammatory medication and corticosteroids for the joint pain and the rashes. We'll also run some tests to make sure that her organs aren't affected."

"How bad is it Doc?"

"Discoid Lupus mostly affects the skin and joints, but it still needs proper monitoring and care. She needs exercise, a balanced diet and less stress. She needs to stay away from the sunlight, that's the most important thing."

"Thanks doc."

"Richard?"

The doctor looked at him, as though weighing his words. "It's probably not right for me to say this, but I consider Dei a friend. I don't know what you are to each other but make sure she's relaxed and happy. During my analysis of her medical history, I noticed she had a miscarriage. There's a chance the Lupus might have caused that, she probably had Lupus already then but was unaware since Lupus, at its early stages, has no visible symptoms. Have her see an OB Gyne as well, to do some work-up."

Richard felt a tinge of accusation at the doctor's words, but refused to be baited. All he wanted was for Dei to get better. He would deal with the doctor later.

-----

Dei was wheeled into her hospital room where Richard was patiently waiting. She looked a little better now, the rashes weren't as blotchy as when they arrived in the hospital, and the medication seemed to have relieved her joint pain somewhat. She was a bit drowsy and tired from the tests done on her, but she wanted to talk to Richard.

He approached her, kissing her gently on the forehead. She held on to his arm and hugged it to her, her slightly feverish cheek leaning against his hand.

"How are you, baby?"

"Better now. I'll be ok, Jay, you don't need to stay. Mike will be doing his rounds, he can come back for me."

"Don't you want me to stay?"

"Jay.......I don't want you to stay if you have to be somewhere. Thanks for taking me here, but you don't need to stay the night."

"Is it because of Mike? You prefer him to take care of you?"

"What? No.......no, Mike is just a friend. He's Andrew's cousin, he took over monitoring my condition when I came home."

"But he likes you, I can tell. And you don't seem to mind."

"Jay, can we please not argue?"

"We're not arguing, sweetie. I'm sorry, go back to sleep ok? I'll stay because I want to take care of you. I won't leave you."

"Hug please."

He sat on the bed and scooped her shoulders hugging her close to his chest. His heart was filled with pain, seeing her so helpless like this. Weakly, her arms hugged him back, she raised her head to kiss his cheek.

"Dei?"

"Hmm?"

"Why didn't you tell me when you had the chance? We had time alone together, you could have told me what really happened."

"I wanted to win you back without feeling your pity, Jay."

He raised her chin and kissed her, his kiss filled with longing and need. As they broke off, he cradled her head against his chest.

"All these years Dei, nothing has changed. I love you as though it were still day one. I always will."