Clove

I've seen your guesses about what will transpire in this chapter, and I'm happy because I'm able to tickle your imagination into thinking what will happen next. I've read some are expecting another misunderstanding, while some expect them to finally settle the score between them. This chapter is rather short but let's just say that it's a chapter everyone needs after all the emotions that poured out of the past chapters. Ceasefire muna, friends.

I once had a boyfriend who felt that it was better to just sweep a misunderstanding under the rug and just reconcile, without delving into the misunderstanding. It was actually true, mas masarap minsan mag-clean slate na lang, forget about all the unpleasantness and just be sweet again. But you know, there's a hidden resentment somewhere that will threaten to surface in a future argument. It will spill over and the repressed anger and resentment will make up for all the time it was hidden.

We sometimes need to do what we need to do. Talk about things even if they hurt, even if it's unpleasant. You can't put a mask over the pain, it only hides the pain but it doesn;t mean the pain is no longer there.  What do you think, my friends? 

He finally admitted to himself that he was lost without her. After many sleepless nights, trying to come to terms with her closeness to Andrew, he grudgingly admitted that whatever she did, it was not reason enough to let go of their relationship. She did not go to Andrew because she had feelings for him, it was simply because she felt more comfortable with him than with any other person he thought she should have approached. He still did not like the idea, but he now understands.

He went to her condo, only to find a note from her posted on the inside panel of her door that she was out of the country. Where did she go? She left without telling him, and that hurt. But who did he have to blame? He walked out on her the last time, practically accused her of carrying on something with Andrew behind his back. He had to find her and fix this.

And now he was in Vietnam, after finding out from Andrew himself. He had to hand it to Andrew, who called him and said Dei was okay, that she now had a job in Vietnam and was doing well. Richard wanted to talk to Dei one last time, just the two of them. He wanted to see for himself and feel if there was ever a chance for them to be back together again.

He finally found her, in her favorite coffee shop, as Andrew said. She lost weight, but she was still beautiful, there were two bright spots of color on her cheeks as she blushed while his steady gaze was on her as he approached. He sat beside her by the counter and ordered for an Americano.

Wordlessly, his hand reached out palm up, waiting for her hand. She extended an arm, her hand settling in his, her heart fluttering. Even after close to two years now from the time she met him, he only had to look at her and her heart would skip a beat. They sat there in companionable silence, hand in hand, enjoying their coffee. She finally couldn't contain the silence any longer.

"How did you know where to find me?"

"Andrew told me."

"Do you still hate me?"

"I never hated you, Dei. I came here to try to fix things between us. If there's still an us."

She squeezed his hand tightly and finally they were eye to eye. Her tears spilled over, and his hand unclasped from hers, reaching out to wipe away her tears.

"Let's go somewhere Dei. We need to talk."

They rented a car and driver for the day, and Dei instructed the driver to bring them to Vung Tau beach. It was a two-hour drive but they both didn't mind. She was snuggled against him the whole time, his arm around her, her hand clasped in his other hand.

"I missed you baby," He said softly against her temple.

"I missed you too." She looked up to him and kissed his cheek.

They both fell asleep and readily woke up when the car stopped. Richard stepped out of the car on his side first, before helping Dei get out. The beach was beautiful, the waters calm. The sky was an intense turquoise color, the sun was hidden behind a cloud. It was already mid-morning and a few people were lounging by the shore, hoping to get a tan.

They got themselves a beachfront room, and Richard got them a change of clothes from the gift shop. She could not stop looking at him, could not believe he was really here. The time away from each other made her shy, she knew she didn't look her best, she lost so much weight from pining for him, and though she gained some of it back, she was still too thin.

"How long are you here for?"

"Just three days, Dei. I wanted to be with you."

"Are you still mad at me?" She looked at him unsurely.

"I'm not mad, Dei. I was hurt by what you did." He pulled her close for a hug, making her cry again.

"Jay, can we just be together now? I know we need to talk, but I just want to be with you now."

Tentatively she caressed his jaw, her palm tickled by the short stubble she found so sexy on him. He kissed her palm, holding her by the wrist, his lips pressing kisses along her inner arm, her shoulder, till he nuzzles her neck and pulls her closer.

They fall on the bed together, limbs tangling, groping at each other's bodies, letting their desire wash over them. He raises her shirt and unhooks her strapless bra, casting it aside to palm one breast and capturing the other in his mouth. She unbuttons his shirt, her hands running over his back possessively, pulling him closer, committing to her memory the feel of his body on hers.

He removes the rest of her clothing and his, pulls out a prophylactic from his pocket and rolls it on. As he slides into her, he gathers her in his arms and plunges deeply into her, slow thrusts that fill her with pleasure. Her hips rise to meet his, and his thrusts get faster and faster, till their cries fill the room.

Much later, he carries her to the bathroom, they shower together with her snuggled against his chest. He gently lathers her hair and body then turns the water on, watching the water cascade through her body. He notes how much weight she lost, feeling pained that he was the source of her lack of appetite and sleep.

After dressing they have lunch served at the beachfront patio of their room, with Dei seated on his lap. He wanted to pretend this was their honeymoon, that their wedding pushed through, and she was his now. He wanted to feel assured that when he comes home, he will bring her with him. But what assurance does he have? He's almost afraid to ask the question, but he asks anyway.

"Dei, sweetie. Will you come home with me?"