White Tulip

Hi beshies, I hope you'll forgive me in this chapter, but there's kind of a mindfuck at the end. Now don't cheat, kids. read the whole story first.  There's a new character being introduced, a mystery, kind of. I'd like you guys to guess who this character is. First one to guess right, treat ko for coffee....char.

I'm feeling a lot of love in the previous chapters, hope you guys keep it up. Nakaka-inspire magsulat, promise. Nakakawala ng bad trip sa DTBY. TO be told that my stuff is good enugh to be a teleserye is quite an honor. Thank you all.

And now, please read.....I want to see what you think of this chapter. I'm as exited as you guys are. Game na, game na. Enjoy :)

Richard finally set a date for him and Shayne to talk. He wanted to talk to her in private, away from his neighborhood to avoid raised voices that might upset his parents, so he took her to Tagaytay on the weekend after Dei started work with New Age.

It wasn't really because he hoped he and Dei would get back together. Scratch that, it was because he DID hope they would get back together. His stupid and gullible heart was starting to hope again, but this time, he was going to tread more carefully, and he wasn't falling as easily again. Or at least he wouldn't show her he was falling as easily.

For Shayne though, this was the first time Ricard initiated that they go somewhere and she was elated. She thought it was the first of many dates that they could share together, and that she was already making progress with her plan to get him back.

They left early morning and had breakfast at on the way. Richard was feeling a little guilty with how bubbly and excited Shayne was, thinking this was a legitimate date. But he had to do this now before things got out of hand.

He got them a twin room in The Lake Hotel Tagaytay, which kind of disappointed her. She hoped for a shared bed, but going out together was a start. They had lunch served at their room's veranda, overlooking the wonderful view of Taal Lake. It was a serene, and calming view that Richard hoped would translate to a calm discussion between them.

"Hon, thanks for bringing me here. I knew you'd come around, if I just gave you time. The view is great."

"Glad you like the view, Shayne. This is just my way of thanking you for being there for me through the months that I was not quite myself. Thank you."

She reached for his hand and squeezed it, looking at him with so much hope and optimism. God, this was dfficult, he was going to break her heart in a few seconds and he was not sure he could do it. But he had to, more for her sake than his.

"I'd do anything for you Richard. You know that."

She leaned towards him to kiss him on the lips but he moved away. She frowned at him, confused. Richard pulled his hand away, looking away from her.

"Richard......what is it? I don't understand."

He tried to pick his words carefully.

"Shayne........I don't know what you're expecting from me. All this attention, the time you spend in my place, I know you do it in the hope of something.........."

"No! No Richard, please don't think I'm rushing you into getting back into a relationship with me. I'm not. I know you're not ready, and I'm not rushing you."

"Shayne.......we can be honest with each other can't we? I don't want to get your hopes up. Things were over between us way, way back. Even before I was planning to marry Dei."

"Dei.....why mention her? It's her isn't it. Is she back?"

"This isn't about Dei. I've been meaning to talk to you for weeks, Shayne. I'm sorry I let it drag on but this is wrong. I won't let you spend time on me, only to hurt you in the end. This has to stop Shayne, I'm sorry."

Angry tears started forming in her eyes. Her mouth was working, trying to process this development. She felt betrayed, despite being told from the start that there would never be a relationship between them.

But she hoped. She gambled for it and lost.

"You've been ok with me going in and out of your house for over a year, Richard. You even let me sleep over. I know.......I know you never led me on, but fuck, Richard......that doesn't make this any less painful."

She patted her cheek to blot the tears, trying to regain her composure. She felt so stupid to hope there was something waiting for her after all her efforts. She knew she was pretty, there so many guys who wanted her. But she wanted to be faithful and sober. She wanted to be what he saw her as, when they first met.

"Richard......can't you see that I'm back to where we started? I'm just the way you wanted me then. I don't smoke or drink, I'm clean of any substance, I've lost all the weight I gained. I even have my own business now. You can be proud of me."

She was crying again, feeling the full brunt of Richard's rejection. But she was not done. She was sure that there was a reason behind Richard's sudden decision to stop her visits.

"Richard.......what if I had no ulterior motive. What if I just wanted to be friend? Then, there would be nothing wrong with visiting you from time to time, right?"

Richard shook his head, feeling frustrated. He knew Shayne could be stubbornly persistent, but he was going to stand firm.

"Shayne, I don't want to do this but let me be totally honest with you. I want to move on from you. Totally. I don't know if we can ever be friends. You hurt me really hard back then, and it scarred me. I don't know if I will ever trust you again. I know it hurts but I want to be honest."

-----

They stopped by a gas station to use the restrooms on the way home. While waiting for Shayne, Richard walked into Starbucks to get a cold drink. And then he saw Dei, seated on one of the comfy chairs, reading a book. Her feet were up, she oblivious to her surroundings as she read.

A guy suddenly approached, handing her a caramel frappe and then sat across her. She put her book down as they started talking. The conversation was a serious one, Dei's expression grave as she listened to him intently. The suddenly reached for her hand and squeezed, as though offering her concern and comfort.

The stranger's hand on hers made his ears flame up. Who was this guy and why was Dei allowing him to touch her? Is he the reason for her staying on in Vietnam? It didn't help that he was good looking too.

As though Dei felt his gaze, she turned and saw him. As though guiltily, she pulled her hand away from the man's grasp and checked if Richard was still there. But he already left Starbucks, his heart feeling more depressed than it already was after talking to Shayne.