Rainflower

It's raining outside and the air is cooler, a perfect backdrop for watching DTBY's much-awaited episode tonight. So, this chapter is not as hurtful as the two preceding chapters, sasabay tayo sa DTBY. In fact, it's a prelude for something poignant.

Things happen for a reason. This is an overused cliche but it's true nonetheless. Something unexpected may happen, and we wonder why it needs to happen, but in the end, we see how essential that event is to our life.  

I'm sure some of you have experienced a tragedy in your life that paved the way for soething better for you. It could be a failed relationship, a job lost, the passing on of a loved one, all sad things that at first may seem unexplainably sad. But the things that happen afterwards will reveal why these sad events needed to happen. 

Read on to see how the separation Dei and Richard underwent actually did some good. As always, I'd appreciate hearing your insights on this chapter. Keep dry and safe tonight :)

It was the worst Christmas season ever for both Dei and Richard. To call off the search and publicity on their relationship, Richard allowed himself to be interviewed for the news, saying that his bride -to-be was already found. He requested for privacy, not wanting to elaborate too much on the details, and to allow them both to get over the trauma of what happened.

He had the wedding gifts returned, but most of their friends refused to accept the gifts back, adamant that their wedding would push through soon. He let his parents deal with the other arrangements, unmindful of the expense. For him, it was just money, he could easily earn what he lost with just a few projects.

Both his parents seemed to side with Dei about postponing the wedding. They tried to talk some sense into him, claiming he was too harsh in going ballistic over her running to Andrew at her time of need.

"Try to understand, son. She had no one here to run to. She was closer to Andrew than she was to Janelle. Your mom and I do not believe she would jeopardize your relationship by doing something stupid with him. We've seen how she dotes on you, RJ. That alone should assure you of her faithfulness."

It was rare for his dad to interfere with his relationships, this was the first time he ever spoke up about any of the women he ever got involved with.

"Dad, I know that now, I'm sorry I lost my temper. Thinking back, I know she wouldn't do anything careless. But it bothers me that she's close to him. Why did she have to go to him?"

"Son, she was already close to him when you met her. Their history precedes you. Sooner or later you will have to accept that he is her close friend. Once you're already wed to each other is when things will start to change. I am sure she'll willingly adjust if she knows it bothers you."

-----

January 2014

Dei spent the holidays alone in her condo unit. It was a sad, pathetic Christmas for her, and belatedly she thought of all the what-could-have-beens, the honeymoon he promised, their transfer to the new house, their first yuletide holiday together. She imagined how wonderful it could have been, if it weren't for her cold feet.

Andrew came to see her after New Year, wanting to make sure she was ok. He was alarmed at what he saw. Dei lost so much weight, and was not eating well. Her eyes were bloodshot from crying everyday, and she looked like she badly needed a shower. She was in bed most of the time, she refused to fix herself or get out of her unit.

"Dei, have you tried calling him?"

"He won't pick up, Dru. I think he's not ever taking me back."