Rosemary

And how was your day? Was it as tiring as mine? Adulting is soooo exhausting. It is so difficult to be consistently responsible but one has to be. One has the responsible for one's actions, accept the repercussions and learn how to move on from there to make things better. Don't get stuck in a rut. Life must make turnaround, and we can control that.

If you feel like you're in a vicious cycle of repetitive unpleasant things that happen to you over and over again, reflect on it and assess, chances are, you're the one making these unpleasant things happen, because you never learn to change the way you attack a problem or see things. Richard needs to move forward and take a gamble. And only he can fix the rut he is in.

Loving the comments guys! Incidentally, a few of you got who the new character is in Dei's life. But hey, I'm not telling, hahaha. Abangan niyo na lang :)

Dei was waiting at the entrance of her condo for Richard to fetch her. This was the first time he and she were collaborating on a project, and they would be meeting with the client for the first time for a briefing. She was excited, to work with Richard again. The client was a top fast food chain, and the budget was huge, a feather to her cap if they close it.

She dressed to impress, wearing a black blazer and a white top that showed just a hint of cleavage, with a pendant that tantalizingly peeked in and out of her top. Her white pleated skirt was fitted at the hips but loose around the thighs, the hem three inches above her knees. She wore her favorite "fuck me" shoes (as she and Janelle fondly called it), black pointy stilettos with crossed ankle straps. Her hair was in a topknot, the only make-up she wore was her scarlet lipstick. She surveyed herself in the mirror and was happy with the full effect of her ensemble.

Working with him was both heaven and hell. He was so aloof, but professional to a fault. She was turned on by the aloofness, it made her giddy whenever she notices him checking her out. The situation felt like they were role-playing, he only had to touch her and she would surely come undone.

The Jaguar smoothly glides in front of her, and it feels nostalgic, almost like they're going out for a date. But it's 8:00 in the morning, and he seems to be in a bad mood as he gets out of the car to open the door for her. She bites her inner cheek to stop herself from smiling. He's still a gentleman even when he doesn't want to be with her. Some things never change.

"Good morning, Jay." She gives him her full megawatt smile and slides into the car. A bit of a breeze lifts the hem of her skirt and shows off more of her legs, and by reflex, they both reach out hand to still the movement of her skirt. His hand grazes her bare thigh and her breath hitches.

Too early, Dei. Too early in the morning for lascivious thoughts.

"Your skirt is too short," He said sourly, willing himself not to look at her.

"It isn't. Look, my thighs are covered when I sit." She smiled at him again. This was going to be a long day.

He wanted to park the Jaguar in a vacant lot and lift that skirt to bury his head underneath. The peeking cleavage was so sweet, her scent was so heady he could almost taste her already. Fuck, what was wrong with him? It was early in the morning and she sat innocently there like a well-behaved schoolgirl, not knowing what dirty thoughts ran through his head. He wanted to slide that backrest of hers down, lick her neck and—

"Have you had breakfast, Jay?"

"N-no. Not hungry."

"The meeting is at 10:00, right? Can we stop by McDonald's for takeout?"

He sighed wearily. "Yes we can."

They ordered coffee, a Sausage McMuffin for her and some fries. She fixed his coffee for him just like old times, a creamer and two sugars, and set it on a custom cupholder. She started unwrapping the sandwich and took a bite, smearing a little of her lipstick on the bun. She reached out her arm, inviting him to bite from the sandwich, his eyes on the smear of lipstick on the bun. Hesitantly he takes a bite, his lips settling where her lipstick smudged the bun.

"You want some fries?"

She brought a few sticks of fries to his mouth, her fingers touching his mouth inadvertently. Both of them felt a hot flush at the contact, and suddenly it was quiet in the car. Why was he getting turned on when she was just innocently feeding him? And why was he taking what she was offering when he remembered he was supposed to be angry with her? But he was hungry for this, this micromoment of something mundane as eating French fries with her.

The light turned red and he stole a glance at her. She looked at him, her eyes on his lips. Her hand reaches out to touch them briefly, rubbing away some lipstick that stuck to his mouth. It was too much already, being in close proximity with her like this, and for a brief moment, his mask was down, and she saw the old Richard look lovingly at her.

The lights changed and the moment was gone.

-----

The client briefing fired up their enthusiasm and put them both in good spirits. Since it was lunchtime already, Richard took her to The Wholesome Table in Capitol Commons, for some organic food. She let him order for them both, feeling thankful that they had this moment to set aside their differences and talk like ordinary workmates. It was too much to assume they were back to normal, she was just content they were making good conversation. Until the discussion got serious.

"Dei, I saw you in Starbucks at the Shell Station along SLEX. You were with someone."

"Yes, I saw you too. I was with.....Mike."

"Who's Mike? Is he a client?"

"No he's not. Mike is my.........friend."

"You friend......Where'd you meet him?"

"H-here.......in Manila."

"When?"

"When I came back."

"You've been back....what? Three weeks?"

"Yes, why?"

"He was touching you."

"He wasn't.....touching me, Jay. He was just comforting me."

"Why? Why did you need comforting?"

"It's nothing. I'm ok now."

"You can't even tell me?"

"I never thought you would care, Jay."

His mask was suddenly back again.

"You're right. I don't."

He saw the hurt in her features, the slump of her shoulders. If his goal was to wound her with words, he succeeded. But he hated how her despair made him feel. He wanted to take back what he said but it was too late, she asked to be excused to go to the Ladies Room.

He paid for the bill and got up when she came back. They walked quietly back to the car.

They were back to being strangers.