↷ TWENTY

''Ugh, what a whore.''

Hannah Baker pushed herself off of the set of lockers she was leaning against to find the voices to match the judgemental stares followed by a group of girls from a few lockers down from Devin's.

They looked at Devin with a smirk, a cocky one for that matter. As if they were better than her, spite all the rumors that went around, not thanks to Amanda Kenderson, Montgomery de la Cruz and Ryan Shaver.

Devin let's out a sigh and turns her head to the side to look at the group of girls as well. Once she had made eye contact with them, they bursted into a roar of laughter.

''Are you mad, hun? Knowing Justin Foley would rather go for girls like me than girls like you?''

The one in the middle of the trio scoffed. ''And what type of girl are you? Trash?''

''The girl you wish to be.''

And just like that, she slammed her locker shut and turns. She forced an arm around Hannah, who appeared to be awestruck of the situation before being pulled out of her trance when Devin made her walk alongside her.

''How can you handle that?'' She blurts out with furrowed brows. The girls looked at each other but with polar features. Devin was more calm and relaxed while Hannah was all around confused. ''And not just them, everyone?''

She pursed her lips and shrugs her shoulders. ''You can't let people get to you if you know the truth.''

''But,'' She stammers. ''What if people have heard of the truth but they don't want to believe in it?''

''There's always someone who does,'' She nods her head. ''Until then, you have to keep your head up and ride solo.''

''Riding solo sounds pretty lonely,'' Hannah counters as they turned a corner.

''It can be, but not when you have friends who believe in you,'' Hannah turned to the brunette beside her who had squeezed their link arms reassuringly and smiled.

Just as they were about to approach Kat at her locker, the blonde slammed her locker shut and linked an arm with Devin's other arm, the girls proceeding down the rest of the hallway as she asked, ''What's up?''