↷ THIRTY TWO

''Oh my god, Devin

''Oh my god, Devin..''

Her dull tired eyes squinted in the darkness of her room. There was only a dim shine of light coming from the bathroom, cascading down the hallway.

There was a shadow creeping from her doorway, groaning and crying from agonizing pain.

''Devin, help me, please.''

It was a call from her mother. She was holding on to the doorknob for dear life while leaning into it.

Devin was quick to reach over to her bedside table and turn on her lamp, illuminating enough light to see the bullets of sweat dreading from the hair line of her face. Sweat mixed with tears.

''Oh my god,'' Devin swings the blanket off of her and pulls her body up from her comfortable position. ''Mom, what's wrong?''

''I-I don't know,'' She cried. She was holding on to her lower stomach. ''My stomach was hurting today and I took a pill, I used a heating pad but it keeps getting worse.''

''Are you sure it's not diarrhea?''

''Devin, this is not the time for jokes,'' She snaps at her.

''I'm not joking!''

''The pain is in my abdomen, Dev,'' She groans again.

''Well,'' She stammers. ''What do you want me to do?''

''Call an ambulance.''

Her eyes went wide. ''What?''

Alyssa shakes her head vigorously, ''It's nothing serious, okay, hun? I just need to go to the hospital to see whats wrong.''

''If it was nothing serious, this could have waited till the morning where you can stop by the clinic,'' Devin remarks.

''Dev,'' She breathes out, another wave of pain hitting her. ''Please.''

''What if it's just your period?'' Devin continues to question. As ironic as it is, though her mother works at a hospital, she didn't want her to be submitted into one. Yes, her mother was still on her menstrual cycle. She's only thirty nine.

She shakes her head again. ''I haven't gotten it for six months. I would have gotten symptoms if that was the case.''

''Jesus, mom,'' Devin reaches over for her phone and turns it on. The time flashes on her screen. It was 5 : 21 in the morning. She unlocks it and began to dial 911. ''How long have you had this?''