↷ THIRTY NINE

''Matthew! Breakfast!''

Devin makes her way back to the kitchen, urgently, after calling for her little brother from the bottom landing that Monday morning. She heads over to the island where a fair amount of aluminum foil was spread flat against the surface with her sandwich sitting on top of it.

Meanwhile, Matthews sandwich was already wrapped up and pushed to the side.

''Breakfast?'' He questions while jogging down the stairs. He swiftly turns from the bottom landing, adjusting the strap of his bag on his shoulders while asking, ''Do we still have time for that?''

''Nope,'' She grins. She was halfway through wrapping her sandwich when she stopped to reach over for his and handed it to him. ''We're taking it to go.''

He grabs his meal from her grasp and slings his bag on one of the stools. ''Did the hospital call yet?''

''Uh, yeah,'' She hesitates to release as she finished wrapping. ''Their delaying her release for another couple days. They want to make sure they have everything in order before sending her home.''

''Did they say how long?'' He furrows his brows while zipping up his bag and placing his breakfast in there. He pulls it off the chair just as Devin walked away with her sandwich, putting his arms through the straps.

''They said they'll call us the day before to let us know,'' She informs him before approaching her book bag that st on the couch. She tosses her meal in there and grabs a hold of it and her keys that were sitting on the coffee table.

''Let's bounce!''

× × ×

''Shit,'' Devin hissed once they arrived to school. ''Class started a couple of minutes ago.'' She switches her set of keys in the ignition, turning off her car. Devin was unbuckling her seat belt while Matthew was putting his bag back on in the back seat, that they groaned at the sound of their phones chiming at once.

They reached in their pockets and found that someone within the school sent them a picture. Answering the text, they opened their phones to find a picture of Hannah Baker from the most obscure angle. It looked like she was on a slide.

The three dotted bubble appeared and soon a text appeared.

Captain

It's going around the whole school

Devin only scoffs before typing away furiously.

And you're just going to keep forwarding it??

Captain