Ready for Anything?

Thank you for checking out our collaboration - it's between anonymousgg16 and I.  She and I have been working on and perfecting this story for the last couple of weeks and it's been so much fun!  We hope you enjoy it!!

I was sitting on the table of the exam room, in nothing but a paper blanket over my lap and my shirt, smelling the sterile surroundings, and twisting my hands together nervously as I waited for the doctor to enter the room.

There was a soft knock on the door that nearly made me jump out of my skin, and the doctor entered the room. She was a tiny, blonde haired woman with caring eyes. She looked to be about my mom's age.

"Lorelai Gilmore? I'm Doctor Abbott, it's nice to meet you" she said, extending her hand.

I accepted the handshake and nervously corrected her. "I actually go by Rory. My mom's also a Lorelai and it gets confusing" I rambled.

"Well, it's very nice to meet you, Rory, and I'll take good care of you. Will the father be coming or should we go ahead and get started?" She asked.

I closed my eyes tightly at the mention of the father and sighed. "No, I haven't told him yet, and he's in London right now" I said barely above a whisper.

She smiled warmly and nodded without hesitation. She walked over to a machine with a small TV screen on it and powered it on.

"So we did the urine test with the sample you provided, and congratulations! You're still pregnant! Now why don't we have a look at this little one and get you some pictures to take home?" She asked as if assuming I would be ecstatic like most first time mothers.

I just nodded and followed her instructions at the extremely uncomfortable situation of getting my first internal ultrasound.

She flipped a switch on the machine and the image was projected onto a larger monitor in front of me on the wall, and I could see everything she was doing at an amplified size.

She seemed surprised when she was able to locate it right away. "You said your last period was how long ago?" She asked.

"My last one was September 17th, if I remember right - but it was spotty. And it was shorter than normal. Why?" I asked, completely clueless.

"Rory, dear, you're not four weeks pregnant" she said.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I must have added wrong. I'm still really confused by all of this - it was about two weeks ago since the last time I was active - does that help?" I asked.

"Well, no, not really. When was the last time you had sex before that?" She asked.

"Be...fore... that?" I asked cautiously.

"Your baby is measuring at eight weeks, so I think your spotting was just that, and not a real period. Implantation bleeding is very common, especially for first time mothers, and the period you described seems to have fit the bill. Now, based on this... your estimated due date is May 26th, so it looks like you're going to have a Memorial Day baby!" She said excitedly.

The color drained from my face - the truth hit me like a ton of bricks.

"So I conceived this baby..." I trailed off.

"By my calculations, somewhere around Labor Day. Big holiday weekend celebration?" she asked with a laugh.

"Uh, yeah, something like that," I muttered, suddenly feeling very sick to my stomach.

"I'm sorry, I think I'm going to be sick," I whispered, trying to take deep breaths.

Dr. Abbott quickly finished her measurements and let me up just in time for me to make it to the trashcan before emptying my stomach.

"Oh, sweetie. Has the morning sickness been bad?" she asked sympathetically.

"No, that's the first time I've gotten sick," I told her as I pulled myself together.

"You're so lucky!" she offered cheerfully.

"Yeah, really lucky," I answered sarcastically, but she didn't seem to notice the despondent tone of my voice.

Fifteen minutes later, I got into my car with my prescription for prenatal vitamins and my next appointment made. As I sat there numb, tears began to streak down my face. I laid my head down on the steering wheel as sobs wracked my body. This wasn't part of the plan. I wasn't supposed to be doing this alone, and it wasn't supposed to be happening now. I was in denial until I heard that whooshing heartbeat, certain that it had to be some mistake, but the minute that sound filled the exam room I had to face reality. I was going to be a mother, and the father of my baby wasn't my boyfriend or my fiance or my husband. No, that would be simple compared to the reality of this situation. All I could think of was how in the world I was going to turn his life upside down and tell him that he was going to be a father.

I slowly picked up my phone and stared at it for what felt like hours before scrolling through my contacts and finding his name. I took a deep breath and summoned all of the courage in my trembling body and hit the call button. After it rang once I panicked and hit the end button as soon as I could make my fingers cooperate and took several deep breaths while giving myself a pep talk. I couldn't do what Anna had done to Luke; I had to tell him that he was going to be a father. After several minutes, I pressed call again and held my breath as I waited. Voicemail.

"Hey, it's me...Rory... I...I really need to talk to you, and it's really important. So please, call me when you get this, okay? Please? It's important - I know I already said that, but it really is" I took a deep breath, trying to stop my tears. "I guess you're probably busy at work - it's a weekday after all.... okay I'm rambling so I'm just - I'm gonna go, but please call me. Okay, bye..." I said and hung up.