Chapter 42

Rory's POV

"You two drive safely" Grandma said as she dropped us off at the ferry. "And Finn? Take good care of my granddaughter and great-grandbabies."

Finn nodded and smiled at Grandma and then led me toward the dock where the ferry was waiting. We boarded a short time later, and I walked over to the railing and looked out over the water. I almost immediately felt Finn walk up behind me and smiled.

"It's really peaceful" I whispered.

"That it is. I've always loved the ocean, although I certainly prefer the Pacific" he replied.

I turned and and smiled at him and then shivered a bit.

"You're cold? We can go inside" he offered.

I shook my head and wrapped my arms around myself tightly. "No, it's so beautiful out here. I'll be fine for now" I assured him.

He opened his coat up and pulled me close to him, wrapping it around us both. "That should keep you a bit warmer until you decide you want to go inside."

We stood out on the deck, watching the world go by, for quite some time before I finally decided it was time to go in.

"Alright, I'm ready for some heat and something hot to drink" I finally caved.

"You lasted longer than I expected. Come on, Love - let's go" he said as he took my hand and led me into the sitting area. I sat down at a table near the windows and he joined me a few minutes later with two cups of hot chocolate. He slid one toward me and I took it gratefully, warming my hands on the warm cup.

"Thank you" I said quietly. "You're always so good to me."

"Well, you make it easy, Kitten" Finn chuckled.

We rode in comfortable silence, drinking our hot cocoas and just enjoying the silence. The ferry finally docked after an hour on board and Finn led me to where my car was parked.

"Will you drive?" I asked as I held out the keys toward him.

"Are you sure, Love? I don't mind, but it's your car" he replied.

"I'm sure. I'd like to just relax - it's kind of a long drive" I assured him.

"Say no more - I'm happy to drive" Finn replied. He helped me into the passenger seat and then dropped our bags in the trunk.

"What time is your flight back?" I asked him.

"It leaves Hartford at 8:00 tonight. Are you sure you don't mind taking me to the airport?" he asked.

"No, of course not. It's the least I can do. You came to my rescue this weekend and appeared in Nantucket, I can definitely take you to the airport" I assured him.

"Well, it was no big deal at all. I was happy I could get here. So, what do you have planned for this week?" he asked.

"Not much" I admitted. "I guess I might go over to the house in Hartford and look around, see what I want to change. It's so weird to think of it as my house now" I admitted.

"I bet it is. I keep forgetting to talk to you about something. Our company is having their big Christmas party in New York City next weekend, and I have to go. I was hoping you might come with me?" he asked hopefully.

"You would want me there?" I asked in surprise. I knew he wasn't dating anyone, but it still surprised me that he would want me there with him, especially given that I'm starting to show. It would invite questions.

"Of course, Love. There's no one else I would rather have there with me. We could spend the weekend in the city and relax, sightsee a bit if you wanted to. It's a formal event, so you would need a dress that will make me forget my name" he teased.