Chapter 11

"Yes mom, I know driving to Boston twice in one week is a lot of driving, but what else could I do? He hasn't answered any of my phone calls in two and a half weeks. I can't not tell him, dad and Luke both agreed on that" I said. I was on the phone, but the call was connected through the speakers in my car.

"I just wish you would have let me come with you" her voice said over the speakers.

"You know I would have loved the moral support, but I can't let him know I told anyone else whose baby it was before I told him myself. That's not really fair, Mom" I reminded her.

She agreed with my logic, but that didn't make it any easier on her curiosity. "How close are you now? And who do you know that lives in Boston, anyway? Did you meet him when you went to visit your dad for a week a while back?" She asked.

"I'm about five minutes away from the parking lot where he works, no I didn't meet him when I stayed with dad, and I'm not answering any more of that question, but nice try" I said firmly.

"Damn! Can't blame me for trying" she said with a laugh.

"Sure I can, because you're driving me more nuts than I already am. My nerves are more on edge than I think they've ever been before" I told her.

"You just need to breathe, sweets. No matter what happens - even if he's a total jerk that you never hear from again - you will still be very well taken care of" she reminded me. I nodded in response, forgetting she couldn't see me.

"Anyway, I need to get back to the inn - just because I own it doesn't mean I can take an all-day lunch break - or so I've been so rudely told by Michel. Are you going to be alright if I go, hun?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'll be okay" I said, taking a deep breath.

"Call me immediately if you need anything" she insisted. I told her I would and we ended the call.

I drove in silence for a few more minutes until I pulled into the parking lot of a giant building. Suddenly I wasn't feeling quite as okay as I thought I felt. I stared at the building and felt panic rising in my chest. I wanted so badly to turn around and drive right back home, but I knew I couldn't do that. I picked up my phone and scrolled through my contacts, finding the number I needed.

"Hey, kiddo. How's it going?"

"Daddy? I need you to tell me that I'm doing the right thing" I said quietly.

"Could you tell me what you're doing first?" he chuckled, causing me to smile a bit.

"I'm in Boston. I'm about to walk into his office and turn his world upside down, and I'm scared."

"Boston, huh? You want me to come meet you?" he asked.

"No, I just...I need you to tell me one more time that I'm making the right choice by barging in there uninvited."

"You have to tell him, Ror, and if he's not returning your calls for whatever reason then this is what you have to do. Once you've told him he can make his choice, but you have to tell him."

"You're right; I know you're right. It's just...terrifying" I admitted.

"I can imagine it is. Call me after if you need anything, okay? My afternoon is pretty free, so I can come take you out for ice cream or something if you'd like."

"Thank you, Dad. Alright, I'm going to take a deep breath and go do this. I'm going to hang up now before I talk myself out of it."

"Talk to you soon, kiddo" he said, and I quickly disconnected the call.

I flipped down the visor mirror and took a quick glance at myself. Good enough to go deliver the news, I guess. I grabbed my phone and purse and got out of the car, quickly walking to the door. I silently thanked whatever higher power that the receptionist wasn't at her desk and walked the path that I knew would take me to his office. I arrived at his closed door and took one last deep breath before knocking.

"Come in" came his voice.

I opened the door and walked into his office and immediately noticed that he wasn't alone. This wasn't optimal at all.

"Hey, guys" I greeted them uncertainly.

Colin and Robert both returned my greeting with a "Reporter Girl" as Finn gave me a colder "Rory".

"What brings you here?" Finn asked stiffly.

"I...I really need to talk to you" I said quietly, looking down at the ground.

"You're here, so talk" he shot back. I was taken aback by how unfeeling and angry he sounded; I thought we'd last parted on good terms.

"Actually, I really need to speak with you privately. It's really important, Finn" I pleaded.

"You can say whatever you need to say to me in front of them."

"No, I really can't, Finn. That's why I've been calling you and leaving voicemails, but you haven't returned any of my calls. By the way, I'm sorry for that. I didn't realize until a couple of days ago that I must have called you right in the middle of Logan's wedding."

Rory didn't notice Colin and Robert's jaws dropping and the knowing look that they shared.

"Perhaps you should take my lack of return phone call as a sign that we don't have anything to discuss" Finn dismissed coldly.

"Finn, I really have to talk to you" I said exasperatedly.

"I'm here."

"Fine, you know what? We'll do this right here" I said, slamming his door shut behind me. "You want to know what I was trying to get in touch with you for the last two and a half weeks? I'm pregnant!"

You could have heard a pin drop in the room.

"I'm not sure why you're telling me this, Rory; I'm not really the fatherly type. Shouldn't you be talking to someone else?

"Maybe if you'd check your messages you'd know that I needed to talk to you, not someone else!" she yelled. "Have you seriously not listened to any of my messages?"

Finn slammed his phone down on his desk and yelled right back.

"No, I didn't check any of my damn messages! Look, if you want to get in touch with Logan about this...development...you're going to have to do it yourself."

"Is that really what you think of me, Finn? That I'm just using you to get to Logan? God, after we...you're...what an ass! I thought you knew me better than that. After...I just can't believe you can't even take the time to listen to my voicemails." I said, tears now rolling down my face.

"Look, I'm just trying to respect Logan and Odette's wishes to help them start their marriage on the right foot, and I don't think helping you get in touch with him would really fall into that category."

"You are unbelievable! You know what? Screw you!"

I slammed the appointment reminder for my next OB appointment down on his desk and stalked out of the office, now openly sobbing. This wasn't how I'd expected this to go at all.