Chapter 73

I looked at the text message I'd received on my phone and smiled. I'm on my way, Love. See you in ten minutes.

I sat my phone back down onto the bathroom vanity and put on the finishing touches of makeup, and turned to my side, checking to see how the dress looked in the mirror. Perfect. It fit like a glove and really showcased my flat stomach. I smoothed it down out of habit, although it really didn't need it.

I had been looking for an excuse to wear this dress. Since Logan and I wouldn't be seeing each other anymore, and Paul was just – well – boring – I wasn't sure it would ever make it out of my closet.

I put my essentials into my silver, glittery clutch with a built in portable charger, and put on my silver heels to match. I felt amazing – it's incredible what a little bit of dressing up can do to change your mood. Plus, I hadn't seen Finn in forever, but ever since he heard about how I broke things off with Logan, he has been really sweet and has tried to take care of me. He's made sure that I've wanted for nothing, and that I knew I always had a friend in him, no matter what. That's why when he insisted on taking me out tonight, to relax and try to clear my head, it was a welcomed invitation. Finn and I had always been close; he was my ex boyfriend's best friend, but he was mine, also. I liked Colin, and I liked Robert, but they never tried to make me feel as comfortable and included as Finn has.

There was a knock at the door, breaking me from my thoughts. I rushed to the door to open it for him, and he was standing there in a black, tailored suit. "Wow, you look great! Is this okay for where we're going?" I asked him, since he'd kept the destination a surprise.

"Yes, absolutely! You look bloody stunning, darling" he said, taking my hand in his and kissing it. I laughed and checked the mirror once more to make sure I wasn't missing anything. "Are you ready to get out of here?" he asked, looking around my quaint motel room – I couldn't decide if his expression was of wonder or disgust, but I just nodded and let him lead me out of the room.

** ** **

We arrived to a restaurant I'd only ever heard about, but where they knew Finn by name. I looked over at him, impressed, as he led me to our table, following the hostess, with his hand on the small of my back.

"This place is incredible" I whispered to him and he just smiled.

"We'll take a bottle of your finest white when you get a moment, please" Finn instructed and the host left the table with a nod. Finn turned to look at me and laughed at the expression on my face. "What, Love?" he asked with a laugh.

"Nothing, it's just strange to see you so... refined" I said with a smile.

He chuckled to himself and nodded. "It's been a long time since those days, has it not? We all have to grow up sometime. For now I'd like to think of myself as a Peter Pan type who would never need to grow up – but it will catch up with me one day, I'm sure" he said prophetically.

I laughed and nodded. "Unless somehow you manage to come out of the gauntlet unscathed" I said.

"I am quite agile" he teased with a laugh.

Talking with Finn was easy. It was a sense of comfort I'd never shared with anyone else and it made me happy to know he wasn't going to turn his back on me now that Logan and I were over. With Lane on tour, Paris busy with the clinic, her kids and her divorce, and my mom in the midst of planning her wedding – I needed all the comfort I could get.

"Love? Did you hear me? I asked if you knew what you'd like to order" Finn said, breaking through my thoughts.

"Oh, no, I'm sorry. I haven't decided yet. Have you eaten here often? What do you recommend?" I asked him.