Chapter 17

After a fun evening of going to the Black-White-Read theater, I walked through the center of town with the members of Hep Alien.  We made our way to the Gazebo and were all sitting on benches nearby, talking. 

"Thank you guys, tonight was a lot of fun.  Exactly what I needed to take my mind off of things for a couple hours" I told them.

Lane wrapped an arm around me and tilted her head to mine.  "Anytime.  What else would I be doing besides helping to cheer up my best friend when she's in need?" she asked.

"Yeah, and we all love you to death, you're an awesome chick, so we'd do anything to help" Gil promised.

I smiled and looked up at him.  "Well, thank you" I said appreciatively.

"Hey, who's that guy walking around town?" Brian asked Zach, seeing someone they've never seen before.

"Miss Patty's gotten a hold of him.  Whoever he was, he's a goner, now" Zach teased of Miss Patty's antics.

"Well, we've got to get going.  My momma always complains if she has to sit with Steve and Kwan past ten o'clock at night" Lane said.

"Okay, I'm just going to hang out here for a few more minutes before I head back.  It's nice and peaceful out here" I told her, standing up to hug them all.  "Seriously, though, guys.  I wouldn't have been able to survive so much time away from my mom right now if it weren't for you guys" I told them.

"Totally okay, man" Zach said.

"Glad we could help" Brian agreed.

With that, the group was gone and I was left alone.  I sat back down, this time on the gazebo steps, and brought my knees up to my chest.  I was getting chilly, but I wasn't ready to go in just yet.

*            *            *

Finn's POV

I finally got away from that delightfully scary woman, and found a group of people walking towards me. 

"Hi, excuse me, I was wondering if you might be able to help me?  I'm looking for someone" I asked.

Three men and a cute Asian woman stopped and looked at me in surprise.  I was sure it was the accent, since that gets most people, but the girl almost looked happily surprised, but I couldn't quite put my finger on the expression she had on her face.

"Well that depends, compadre - who are you looking for?" Zach asked.

"Her name is Rory Gilmore - do you know her, by chance?" I asked the group.

The girl's eyes lit up and she smiled.  "That girl just so happens to be my best friend, and I just left where she was.  She's sitting in the gazebo, doing some soul searching" Lane told him, nodding towards the structure.

I followed the nod, and saw her silhouette sitting on the steps.  "Ah, that she is.  I see her now.  Well, it was nice to meet you, best friend.  And thank you for your help" I said, walking away and making my way over to her.

"Who was that?" Zach asked his wife in confusion.

"That's Finn.  You'll find out who he is soon enough" she told him, keeping Rory's secret, and walking back towards the house, the guys following dumbfounded.