Chapter 68

Rory's POV

After spending hours together with our family, and having a special Christmas dinner that Dad surprised us by having catered in, we were stuffed and had a pretty amazing Christmas, considering the circumstances.

Dad went back to Boston, Grandma went back to Nantucket, and Luke was trying to drag Mom out of the room to get back to Stars Hollow before it got to be too late.

Soon, we were left with Annie and us sitting around and talking. Finn got up and excused himself to the bathroom, and I took the opportunity to talk one on one with his mom.

"Annie, I know things have been so crazy this weekend, and none of this was the ideal way to spend your Christmas - I just wanted to thank you, for being here for Finn and I, and I'm so, so sorry for tearing you away from the rest of your family at Christmas. I feel terrible for that" I told her.

She smiled warmly and crossed the room, coming to sit down beside me on the bed. She took my hand in hers, and it was warm and comforting. "Rory, don't be silly. I am with my family, silly girl. Finn, my twin grandbabies, you... You may not be married in - yet - but you're definitely still family in my eyes. Anyone who can help Finn do the one-eighty he's done since Labor Day, deserves a lot of credit. And the thing I love most about you, Rory, is you don't seek credit. You do it because you love him - hell, I'm not even sure you knew you were doing it in the first place - but the bottom line is, my son loves you. He has never loved anyone outside of his family before, and that's what makes you family, sweetheart. Just keep being your amazing self, and keep being strong for him and those babies of yours, and you will always be family to us" she told me.

Tears fell from my eyes and I wiped them away quickly, but they kept coming back. "I'm sorry, these hormones are so embarrassing sometimes" I whispered.

She smiled and handed me a Kleenex. "You've had a lot happen, and you're on emotional overload. It's completely normal, dear. And considering you've got double the amount that I've ever had, I'd say you're doing pretty well" she said.

"Just - thank you for everything, Annie. I just want you to know how much I appreciate everything you have done for us, already. Finn told me he'd be able to work remotely, and I credit that to you and to Nick. If you weren't nearly as understanding, we may have never have had that option" I told her.

"Our family takes care of each other, and now that includes you. Anything we can do for you, you just name it, and we'll do everything in our power to make sure we can help" she said.

I smiled and hugged her, her arms around me in a tight embrace.

Finn had since walked out of the bathroom and was just watching us interact, unbeknownst to either of us. I looked up and saw the smile on his face when I pulled away from the hug.

"Oh good, Finn, I'm going to head on out to the hotel, and let you two have some more time to yourselves. I'm exhausted and absolutely stuffed from that big meal Christopher had brought in. I think heading to bed early would do me some good tonight" Annie said, standing up to hug her son.

"I love you, Mum. Will you be alright getting to the hotel alone?" He asked.

She chuckled slightly. "Of course I will, Finn. Don't you worry about your dear ol' mum. I'm much tougher than you give me credit for" she teased.

He laughed and nodded. "Okay, then we'll see you tomorrow, Mum. Get some sleep" he said, walking her to the door.

"Bye Rory, bye dear" she said, kissing Finn on the cheek, and letting herself out.