Chapter 20

"Tony." That voice, that voice was so familiar. "Tony, I need you to open your eyes now." Tony opened his eyes but light blinded his vision. When the light died down the sight in front of him was the most comforting thing he had seen in a long time. It was the little apartment back in California, where he grew up.

Nothing had changed in the small apartment. The little figurine elephants on the windowsill, the bookshelf tucked into the living room, filled with fantasy, sci-fi and romance novels, the little TV set that had two consoles hooked up to it. The personalised kitchen that his mother loved oh so much. His father's painting filled in any spare space. The walls filled with family photos, his mother and father's wedding day, his first day of school, holidays abroad and so many more. The warm paint of the walls reflecting his mother's kind personality, his father's creativeness and his own happiness. It was just like the way his world was before his father died, before his world took a long walk off a short pier.

Why was he here?

Was this a dream?

"Tony, this way." He heard that voice again. It was so familiar and soothing, he couldn't place who it belonged to though. He saw a door to his left open, it was the door that lead town to the shop.

The stairwell down was as dark as jet, no matter how hard he tried his eyes wouldn't adjust the darkness. He felt each stair first before he went down, he stuck his foot out to make sure he wouldn't trip over and to feel when he had reached the bottom. 

When he reached the bottom the shop was just like when his father was still alive. Chestnut furniture was seen throughout the shop, it was his father's favourite wood to work with. All the furniture was handmade, his father's new technique was going down well with the customers, in the wood were intricate designs that were burns in with a soldering iron. The main display window had different accessories that his mother picked out, old cuckoo clocks, mirrors that she pained extravagant designs on and other little bits and piece. 

This was home. His safe haven, where he knew nothing bad would ever happen to him. Why was he here?

"I've missed you, Tony." It was that voice again. The one he couldn't place. He turned to the right to see someone he thought he would never see again. Standing in the doorway to the workshop was a tall man, much taller than Tony, he had broad shoulders, muscles that definitely could attracts anyones attention, his skin was just as tanned as Tony's. Those big blue eyes, the dark brown hair, the narrow face, he could never forget this person. The safety goggles sitting perfectly on top of his head, the cream canvas apron covered in saw dust. He looked exactly the same.

"Dad!" He ran to the older man and wrapped his arms around his waist. The older man returned the embrace wrapping his long arms around Tony's slender shoulders. Tony buried his head in his father apron.

"I've misses you to, snow cone." Tony could feel himself almost breaking into tears. Nobody had called him Snow Cone since his father had passed. This had to be a dream, there was no way that he was back home, hugging his deceased father. "I've been watching over you snow cone. I wasn't going to intervene, but with you mother leaving and that man trapping you. I couldn't just stand by."

Tony pulled away, he looked up at his father, confusion clear on his face. "What are you talking about, Dad?"

"I can offer you a way out snow cone." Tony fully pulled away from his father. He didn't know what his father was getting at, he could tell where this talk was going to go. "You see there is this thing called sudden death syndrome. It's were a perfectly healthy person dies without indication or explanation. I can give you a way out, if you are desperate." His father's voice held no emotion like he didn't even want to be suggesting this. His face grew darker, he didn't want to suggest this to his son, he was only fifteen for gods sake, he was only a child.