Chapter 28

In every sense, Hoshiko Kunisada was a professional. She took her career seriously and kept her co-works at arm's length,  she liked to keep her professional life and personal life separate. Well, as separate as she could. Her co-worker, Seishin Zato, was the new junior attorneys in the law firm and had taken up to clinging to Hoshiko. Inevitably Hoshiko ended up with a partner she never wanted.

"So, what the base of the case, Hoshiko?" Seishin's voice attacked her as soon as she entered the firm. It didn't help that she was up all night reviewing her newest case and had just come back from interviewing him.

"A fifteen-year-old boy, he and his mother were brought here, the mother was to get married, she ran away with the to-be husbands kids and left him behind, the kid's experienced some serious trauma." It took her no time to get to her office and take a seat. Her papers and notes dropped from her arms on to her desk.

"Need me to do any research for the case?" Even though Hoshiko found Seishin unimaginably annoying, he did have his uses.

"If you can find anything out about the Asumi family, that would be more than helpful." Seishin smiled and bounced out of the room, looking way too pleased be of help. She took her time to review the case again.

First, they needed to build the case against Hiroshi Asumi. Through the police searching the Manor they had found the remains of the old babysitter in the vents, the decaying body was at least a year old. The body is currently undergoing an autopsy to find any evidence and the cause of death. The police had also found a secret panel in the wall of the master bedroom, there was a digital and polaroid camera, numerous polaroids of a female body and the body of a young male, there were also four full SD cards that were being developed by the polices investigation team, as soon as the prints were ready they would send copies over to the firm.

She had been taking notes down of things she found important and things she needed to check back with.

"Hey, boss," Seishin re-enters the room with a small stack of papers in his arms, "did the research for you." She looks up her eyes wide and her mouth slightly agape.

"You did all that in one hour?" He couldn't help but chuckle.

"The best for my boss." He walked further into the room, closing the door behind him.

"So what did you find out?" She took the papers off the younger man and shuffled through them, skim reading them.

"So Takashiro Asumi, Hiroshi's brother was arrested for something similar. His brother bought a 7-year-old boy and groomed him, he escaped when he was 15, lived with two men that helped him, he was then recaptured, Takahiro tried to officially adopt him so he couldn't be taken away from him, but before that could happen the kid contacted the police. Takahiro was arrested and the kid when to officially live with the two men."

"Holy shit, it's a family of psychopaths," She continued to flip through the papers, "how much was bail? and how long was his sentence?"

"He doesn't have bail and he's serving life." Seishin took a seat on the other side of the desk.

"So what do we know about the Asumi family and their business?" Hoshiko put down the papers on top of the others she had collected.

"We don't know much of the family, they're very private, but the business, on the other hand, well they the epitome of sketchy business. They own and run a transport company, they use it for a front for a drug cartel, the police are trying their hardest to infiltrate the cartel with an undercover agent, but so far everyone they've sent has come back injured, mutilated or dead. They're literally untouchable."

"Drug cartel? So, for this whole time, Hiroshi Asumi could have been drugging this poor kid and the kid would have no knowledge about it." This whole thing was giving Hoshiko a throbbing headache, she was getting a very familiar itch to go outside and take a long smoke. "I think I'm going to need a partner on this case, you up for it, Seishin?"

Seishin suddenly looked at her, mouth nearly dropping to the ground. "But, you never ask for a partner, and now you're asking me? A junior that's only been here for a month."

"You know this case and know how to research properly, you're compliant and that's what I need." Hoshiko just wanted to go home. She had done enough today to wear her thin and she really wanted a smoke.

"Sure, I'll be your partner. And as your partner I think you should go home and get some sleep, I'll let you know if anything happens in the case." A small smile graced Hoshiko's lip, she was thankful to the younger man.

"See you tomorrow, Seishin, and remember to lock up before you leave." She stood from her place taking her notebook and a few other files.

"Later partner."

________________

Hey Everyone!

Sorry, this took so long, I just had to do a lot of research on law and law firms. I'm also in a really bad mind space, I've tried getting help but I don't have any money to get help, I've been trying to help myself the best I can. I've realised that no matter what mind space I'm in I can distract myself by writing, as my lecturer told me.
My lecture actually gave me a confidence boost, we had an essay to hand in on Monday, he's a really tough lecturer to please. All the way through the lecture all I heard coming from him was him grilling the other student and I was one of the last, I was also starving and very sleep deprived with 48 hours of no sleep. When he came to my essay all he did was compliment it and told me there was only 1 thing I could do to improve it, I was beaming! And I'm still slightly riding that high.
Also, I wanted to remind some that this is just a work of fiction. I've seen a few comments saying that this and that is not accurate, it's just fiction. A lot of manga and anime's are not accurate to real life and I wanted to take advantage of fiction not being real life accurate, that's why I write.

Other than that you've all been amazing and I love you all, have an amazing day and I'll see you next time!!!

TTFN!!!!