fifteen

I closed the door behind myself, waiting for the person on the other side to say something. I heard some shuffling, and a sigh.

"I... I did it" Niall said brokenly.

"Oh my god. What happened?" I asked, taking off my boots and sitting on the couch nervously.

"He was so angry... Oh my god, Grace" he cried. There was a deep silence for a few minutes in which we stayed there, saying nothing, listening to each other's breath through the phone, before he talked again. "He came home. He was so happy. So, so happy." He started sobbing. "He brought pizza. He lit up those stupid candles, you know, the ones he bought with you. He put them on the table... He turned down the light. He brought roses. He said he was sorry for being so distant lately. I didn't want to tell him! But he had done so much, he was so nice and loving, and I just had to!"

"What did he say?" I asked him.

"Not much. He told me to get out. He kicked me out, Grace. He kicked me out."

"Do you want to come here?" I asked to him.

"I'm almost at my parents'. I'll stay there for a few." He sniffled.

I nodded, even if I knew he couldn't see me. Despite his Irish origins, he had lived in England with his family for the major part of his life. He had moved to Bristol, and more specifically, next to my house, when he was only 5, and we had been friends ever since.

"Did he say anything else?" I asked him.

"He told me to get out. I tried to explain everything to him, but he just wouldn't listen! He stood up and told me to get the fuck out and I'm just so scared right now. What if I lost him forever?"

"You love him, and he loves you. He was the one who proposed, remember? He loves you just as much as you love him, if not even more! You'll get him back."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Just give him time. What happened is really bad, but you love each other and you can get through this. And you will."

"I guess so... I arrived now. I'm so sorry for ruining your date. I tried to call at a later time, but you're probably still with him."

"Don't worry about it, Ni. I'm home already" I assured him, and he replied with an "Oh, great."

"Yeah" I said, "I guess I'll leave you to sort things out... Just know that I'm here" I told him.

He made a weird sound. "Sure. Goodnight" he said, and when I said it back he closed the call.

I sighed and went into my bedroom, laying down on the blanket of my bed still fully dressed, the phone abandoned next to me. It buzzed and I picked it up, thinking that it was still Niall. I was quite surprised when I saw a text from Harry.

From Harry: Would you be up for going to a club tomorrow night?

I stared at the text in disbelief, not believing that my Harry had actually sent that. Cut out the "my", actually. We barely knew each other. I decided to reply before going to sleep.

To Harry: you know I work the night tomorrow

The reply came some seconds after.

From Harry: Call in sick?

I shook my head, smiling.

To Harry: I'll just ask my coworker to exchange turns

I sent it and started stripping off the uncomfortable clothes.

To Chloe: hey Chloe, can you do the night for me tomorrow? I'll do the day for you

I connected my phone to the charger and got to my bed, covering myself completely before falling asleep.