forty-six

"Are you ready? You know Gemma won't like it if we're late" I said walking into the living room.

The fairy lights were shining, contrasting with their golden light the bright white one coming from outside.
I glanced to the window, a few snowflakes had started to fall outside. It seemed like it would've been a perfect Christmas.

"I'm here" I heard Harry say as he walked out of his bedroom.

"It's snowing" I told him, smiling like a child. I had always loved the snow. There was something of so unbelievably beautiful, and pure, in it, that I just couldn't resist. When I was a child, it would sometimes rest and crystallise on the corner of my window. The sun would make it shine in the morning, as if it was made of silver instead of water, and I would spend so many hours just looking at it, sitting close to the window, entranced by its shiny beauty.

"I'm glad it's not raining."

I turned to look at him, that was standing next to me, stifling a laugh at his reply. "It's so beautiful."

"How cheesy would I sound if I told you you're way more beautiful?" He asked with a little smile.

"Really cheesy. Please don't do that."

"You like shiny things, why do I feel like I got your Christmas present wrong?"

"Shut up, I loved your present" I replied moving away from the window. "Gemma will kill us if we show up late."

"We'll better run then. It's the first time she cooks in like, her whole life, so we shouldn't make her wait" Harry said checking the pockets of his coat to make sure he had everything he needed.

"I still can't understand why Michal insisted in spending Christmas with her family instead of his" I admitted as we went out of the door and walked down the stairs.

"I wonder as well, especially because it's only me. I'm glad you're coming as well."

"I am too" I replied, "Now let's get there" I added as Harry walked to the driver's side of his car.

• • •

"Hey there, merry Christmas!" Michal said as soon as he opened the door.

"Merry Christmas!" I replied, and Harry did too, even if a bit less excitedly.

Michal opened the door wider. "Come on in! It's freezing cold outside."

We walked in, and put our coats on the hanger.

I walked into the living room. The fireplace was turned on, and I could feel the warmth radiating from it from the doorway. The multicoloured Christmas lights were on as well, enlightening the room of different colours intermittently. From the French window that occupied one wall of the room, I could see the snow falling outside. For some mysterious reason, it still hadn't stopped, and everything was covered by a thin layer of white.

"Gemma's in the kitchen, I think she might be having a little trouble with whatever she's doing" Michal informed us as he and Harry sat down on the couch.

"I'll see if she needs any help" I said, already walking to the kitchen. Once I was there, I stood in the doorway, and knocked against the wall to signal my presence.