fifty-one

We all meet that one person that just changes us, at least once in our life. That person that just makes our day better whenever we are with them, no matter the circumstances. If there was one thing I had realised, it was that it's not necessary to always be happy to enjoy someone else's company. As long as they make your life a little more worth living, that's all that matters. But these people are rare. There's just a few people who genuinely care in this world, and people meet and part all the time. So, whenever their path encounters yours, they shouldn't be let go away. Because the person you might spill your coffee all over by mistake on a day, could just be that one reason of your smile on the other. The person you might lose your entire sugar stock to one day, could become one of the people you care about the most on the other.
Another thing I had realised, was that a person doesn't have to be well all the time to be worth your time. They don't need to be happy to make you happy. And it was something that broke my heart. Since I had met him, my life had taken a turn for the better. But what I had just realised was that his hadn't. While he was making my life better and better day after day, he had started to give up a little more every day. I wasn't stupid, I knew that what Louis had said wasn't the only reason behind his decision.

In that moment, I realised that his wellbeing was as dear to me as my own. In a way, I guess I had always known. It had always been there, at the back of my mind, but it struck me just then.

But in that instant, it wasn't what guided my actions. In the second I knew he was about to let go, I wrapped my arms tightly around his waist. His hand left the railing, and the strain left me breathless. I was holding up his entire weight, I was the only thing keeping him from falling. My arms started to hurt almost right away, but I didn't care, and just tightened my grip on him.

His hands went to my wrists, and he desperately tried to set himself free. "Let me go!" He shouted, a hint of panic in his voice.

"I won't let you go" I said into his ear.

He tried to pry my arms off his waist harshly, but I didn't let him.

"If you fall, I'll fall with you."

At my words, he stopped moving. There were a few seconds in which none of us said anything, or made a move. Then, I felt his shoulders shake against me, and his chest rise and fall faster.

"Please" he mumbled brokenly.

Another lightning shook the sky above us, and I gripped him harder.

I put my head into the crook of his neck. "I won't" I whispered to him.

A sob broke through his chest, and I felt my own tighten. Wetness was on my cheeks, was it rain or had I started crying? I couldn't tell.

"Please, Harry" I begged him, "Give yourself another chance."

He turned his head imperceptibly stopping his crying for a second, and I realised that somehow I had made him doubt his resolution.

"We can go home" I whispered fast into his ear, "We can drink something hot. And then just cuddle together on your bed, okay? How does that sound? You don't have to do this, there's always another option."

The rain had started to pour down on us, and in fear of him slipping away, I tightened my fingers around the hem of his shirt.

"Please baby" I murmured again, even though I wasn't even sure he could hear me over the sound of the rain.

Fear washed over me as he hunched over crying, as if just hearing the sound of my voice was causing him pain.

"Don't" I said as I tried to keep him from slipping on the wet edge, with no success.