eighty-three

Harry

I sighed as I sat down on the desk at the front of the empty class. I slid my bag open, taking a small book out of it and putting it right in front of me. I didn't really know why I kept making them read the same book, year after year.

I leant back against the chair as the first students started to walk in, not so quietly chatting, and tapped absentmindedly against the armrest of the chair. I pulled out my phone, pretending to do something, as they all sat down. I looked up after a couple minutes, checking if all the students were inside, and I noticed that a few girls on the side were staring at me, whispering to each other. I looked down as I rolled my eyes, not wanting them to know I had seen them.

I sat up straighter and tapped against the cover of the book, that was still on the desk in front of me, looking at the students, that were completely minding their own business, talking and laughing at each other as if they were the only people in the room.

"Good morning" I said, successfully managing to shut them all up.

The girls on the side giggled. Of course.

I cleared my throat and I stared at the class right in front of me. Twenty curious eyes looked back at me.

"Have you read the book I told you to read a week ago?" I asked, standing up from the chair and walking in front of my desk, leaning against it.

They nodded.

"We'll talk about it now, then" I suggested.

A boy sitting at the back raised his hand. He was very quiet, and hardly spoke in class.

"Yes, Noah?" I gave him permission to talk, smiling a bit at his newfound participation.

"The book is a bit confusing, so I was wondering what was your personal opinion on the matter?" He asked curiously.

My eyes widened slightly, remembering the last time I had been asked something like that. "My opinion?"

He nodded.

"My opinion doesn't matter." I pushed myself away from the desk and started to walk down the class, making a few students rush to hide whatever they were doing. "I'm not here to discuss my personal view on anything. That's your job to do. So what I'm asking you now, Noah, is: why did you find the book confusing?"

"I don't know, it's just so confusing. I didn't really understand any of it, if I have to be honest" he admitted, "Like, why do all those things happen and such?"

I returned to my desk. "Why do you think they happen?"

"Because they're kind of meant to be? I suppose. I don't know" Noah said.

"It's such a love story!" One of the girls sitting at the side said dreamily, succeeding in getting my attention.

"It's actually a highly symbolic book. It can be read on different levels, there's something for everyone to take" I replied to her. "Today, though, we're going to talk about the first level of reading. We'll talk about the deepest meanings tomorrow." I went back to look at Noah. "Well" I said, my fingers tapping against my desk. "Try to think about it in this way. Imagine being meant to be, as you said, as some kind of link, that can't be broken."

"Between two people?"

"If you want, but it has a way stronger meaning in here. Between two souls" I replied, and he nodded. "What would happen, if that were the case?"

"They'd keep being pulled towards each other?" A girl said from the front.

"Correct, Mia. They'd keep coming together over and over again, despite time, or distance, or whatever would come between."

The class stayed silent for a few seconds, taking in what I had said.

"Are you talking about reincarnation?" A girl asked, without raising her hand.

I pursed my lips as I remembered a similar question, that had happened over a year before. "That isn't what I said. See it like a sea, with many drops inside. Now, if two drops are connected, and they both belong to the same sea, they're meant to find each other, and become one."

"The sea is really big though, how can they?" Noah asked.

"This is what it's about. We are so many, and we're all in the same sea. We can't seem to find the right one. We're as fluid as water, we keep meeting and parting, hoping to find our happy ending. However, if we were all to make it, there would no longer be movement, and movement is essential to life."

"I don't think I understand" he admitted.

"Not everyone finds theirs. It is hard - not everyone will make it. The most important thing is to never give up, no matter what happens. If you don't give up, you're one step closer to winning."

"Are you saying we should keep searching for love until we find it?" A girl at the back asked.

"I think this is a great generalisation of what I just said, if I have to be honest. It could be love, as it could be anything else. It's whatever makes you happy. Happiness is the most important thing. Without it, you could have all you've ever wanted, and it would be hard, if not impossible, to even see it."

"So it doesn't have to be love?" Mia asked.

"I'm trying to give you life advice here, and may I say you're making it incredibly hard?" I said, making some students laugh from the back of the class.

"Girls only go on about love, love and love" a boy commented.

I smiled. "Give it five years Jason, you'll be doing exactly the same."

"That sounds like what someone in love would say."

"My private life is none of you business, is it?" I replied playfully as I walked round the table to sit on my chair again.

A girl raised her hand.

"What is it, Abigail?" I asked looking at her.

"Are you happy?"

Silence fell on the class as soon as she spoke, everyone waiting for the answer.

I stilled on my chair. "That's kind of a personal question you're asking" I replied after a few seconds.

"I was.. just wondering. Are you?" She said, and I took some seconds to think about it before replying.

"The closest I've ever been."