fifty-eight

"Coffee?" Harry asked walking into the kitchen while I was looking into the cupboards, standing on my tiptoes.

I turned my head at the odd request. "Are you sure?"

"I just... think I need a change" he replied glancing away from me, playing with the hem of his shirt.

I turned around again and I got two mugs out of the cupboard, putting them on the counter. "How do you like your coffee?" I asked him after a few seconds of silence.

"Without milk."

"Black coffee?" I asked him, and he nodded. "Gemma would be so disappointed" I murmured jokingly, and he gave me a little smile.

"We shall not tell her, then."

"It'll be our secret" I replied, starting to make coffee.

"You should be happy, I reckon you used to drink coffee before I turned you to tea" he replied coming up behind me and reaching for the cupboard over my head.

"Thrilled, haven't drank coffee in months."

He opened it and took something out of it. "Something tells me you might need this then" he replied putting a sugar packet next to the cooker.

I smiled, and put his coffee in one of the mugs when it was ready. "Be careful, it's hot" I said sliding it on the counter.

He grazed the cup with a finger to check the warmth, and retracted it fast.

"Told you" I replied, putting my tea in a cup as well and taking it to the kitchen table. "So, have you had a nice walk yesterday night?" I asked him sitting right in front of him.

His gaze fell to an undefined point in the wooden table. "I told you I'm sorry" he said lowly.

"I'm not mad, I'm just worried" I replied softly putting some sugar in my cup while glancing at him. I stirred my cup absentmindedly, the sound of the little spoon hitting the cup being the only sound in the entire house. I put the spoon on the table and I took a sip of the coffee, humming approvingly. "Can I ask you something?" I asked putting it down.

He looked up at me biting his lip. "Yeah" he replied, but he seemed unsure, automatically starting to play with one of his rings, turning it around his finger.

"Have you thought about, I don't know, talking to someone? I'm sorry if I'm crossing any boundaries" I asked him carefully, trying to refrain from tapping on the table with my fingers out of nervousness.

"You aren't" he said, "I just... it's been some time." His gaze fell down again, as if he refused to meet mine.

"Since what?" I asked curiously.

He cupped the mug with his hands and glanced outside of the window, seemingly lost in his thoughts. "Since the last time."

"How long has it been?"

"Two years... a year and half... I'm not sure."

"Why did you stop going?"

"Because I felt like my life was getting back on track."

I nodded slightly, not really knowing what to say, and took another sip of my coffee.

"I like that you're wearing my shirt" he said all of sudden, changing the topic.