forty-seven

"Do you want to do something tonight? I don't know, go out or things like that?" I asked him while we were on his bed.

He scrunched up his nose. "Like, to celebrate the new year?"

"It's kind of New Year's Eve today" I replied with a little smile.

"I'd say we could go out, but it seems quite cold outside today. And it's also raining. So I don't really think that's an option."

I glanced to the window, the rain was pouring down diagonally, hitting the glass hard in the process. "Yeah, you're probably right. So, are we gonna stay in?"

"I don't... I don't have any people to celebrate with. Gemma and Michal are doing a thing alone, and I don't actually have any other options. Unless you want me to call Nick and go to whatever party he'll probably go to."

"The last time you mentioned Nick, it was because he had gone back home without you. And you were drunk. So no, I don't think I want that" I replied, and he bit his lip.

"I wish you'd stop mentioning that... It's quite embarrassing" he admitted.

"Don't worry, I'll make it one of my propositions for the new year."

"That reassures me so much" he replied sarcastically.

I rolled around to get closer to him. "So, we're gonna stay here, celebrate and have so much fun" I told him, putting my head on his chest and looking up at him.

"I don't feel really confident about the 'having so much fun' part."

I pretended to be shocked. "Are you saying you don't think I'm fun? I'm hurt Harry, I'm hurt."

His eyes widened, their deep green flashing me. "I'd never. You're quite fun, actually."

I was about to reply, but my phone started ringing. I groaned and turned to the other side of the bed, and picked it up from the nightstand. I glanced at the caller ID.

"I'll be right back" I told Harry, and got out of the room fast, answering the call.

"Liam, what do you want?" I asked him closing the door of the bedroom behind me.

"I was wondering..." He started saying, but I stopped him right away.

"If you want to ask me to spend the evening together it's a no. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that it wouldn't be right to spend it with you and not with Niall as well. You're both my friends."

"Oh okay" he replied simply, "Guess we'll catch up another time, then?"

"Yeah sure, text me tomorrow and we'll talk about it." I closed the call and went back into the room. "Just Liam" I explained, even though Harry hadn't asked me anything. "You know how it is. It's gonna be a bit hard until him and Niall figure out how to proceed."

"They're getting a divorce, then?" He asked, still laying down on the bed, his head on the pillow.

"They aren't really sure about it yet. But I guess that should be the idea. I mean, I really don't think they'll manage to save anything. Why would they even do that, anyway." I lay down next to him again, and he turned to his side facing me.

"They're young. It's not the end for them. They'll find someone else."

I nodded, for how little the pillow let me. "Niall is 22."

He raised an eyebrow. "Wow, they got married quite fast, didn't they?"

"Just a year after."