forty-eight

After saying our goodbyes, we got out of the house.

We had gone to Gemma's house to celebrate her engagement - it was her idea - which pretty much meant that, instead of going to sleep, we had spent the most of the night up - some people drinking as well, until we had fallen asleep, literally on each other.

"I can't believe it actually happened" I said getting closer to Harry, trying to protect myself from the cold weather.

"I expected it to happen, honestly. It was only a matter of time" he replied sliding one of his arms over my shoulders. "And knowing Gemma, she'll probably want to get married relatively soon."

"Are you excited?"

He side glanced at me. "Why?"

"Your sister is gonna get married."

"I just... I just hope my mother won't find out about this. It could easily turn the wedding into a disaster."

"Don't you think it's a bit too early to worry about the possibility of your mother being at the wedding?"

"It's never too early" he simply replied.

"Don't worry" I told him, "I'm sure Gemma won't allow it."

"I guess so." He glanced up at the sky. "We should hurry up before it starts to rain."

"I can't wait to go home and go to sleep" I said.

"Oh really?"

"Thinking about it, maybe going to sleep at 4am wasn't exactly a good idea" I had to admit.

"I really don't want to say it, but I told you so."

"Shut up" I replied slightly elbowing his side.

The night was coming around, and big, dark clouds covered the sky, threatening to make it rain at any second. An icy cold wind had started to sweep the streets mercilessly, and it was almost impossible to protect ourselves from it.

I shuddered as I felt a cold drop hit my face. "I think it's starting to rain" I said out loud.

"I'm afraid we'll have to make a run for it, because I forgot the umbrella."

"I don't think I can run for that long" I replied, looking around.

The street was empty; all the people had already locked themselves into their house, or had just never got out, preferring to spend the day inside with their families and friends.

"I'm afraid you'll be left behind, then" he replied jokingly.

When we were close to our building, we slowed down as we saw the figure of a person standing in the middle of the street. When we were a few meters away, I recognised his features, and put my hand out to stop Harry.

"Let's cross the street" I suggested, as he gave me a confused glance.

He looked in front of us, and I saw the realisation dawned on him as he widened his eyes. He stared for a few seconds, in which I tried to suggest the idea of going away by taking his hand and motioning him my desire, not really sure of what to do. And when I realised what he actually wanted to do, it was way too late to stop him.

He walked towards the man in front of us with a steady pace, taking me with him, since I still hadn't let go of his hand.

My heart started beating faster and faster the closer we got to him. "Please" I pleaded him, not forgetting the conversation I had had with Gemma some weeks before. "Let's go home."

But he totally ignored me, and he only stopped when he was standing in front of him. "What do you want?" He spat out.

The blue eyed man smirked, and I felt a wave of pure panic wash through me.

"Let's go somewhere else. Somewhere... Quieter" he suggested. Then, without waiting for us to say anything, he walked away.

"Harry, please don't" I begged him without letting go of his hand.

"I need to" he told me, and he started following Louis.

"No you don't! Let's just go home. Let's go home and drink hot chocolate while watching movies cuddled up together on your couch."

"Don't make it harder than it has to be. Come with us, or go home. It's your choice" he simply replied.

I walked faster and stopped right in front of him, turning around to face him. "What do you expect to get? He's been doing this since forever, this time will be no different."

The words tasted sour in my mouth. Because in reality, it was the opposite. Something told me that it would've been different, and it scared me to no end.

He ignored my words, and walked past me.

Understanding that I could do nothing to change his mind, I just kept following him.

My breath hitched when I realised that we were walking among empty buildings, some corroded by time, some fair too new to have somebody living inside. The sound of our steps echoed in the empty street. We were completely alone.

Louis walked into one of the old buildings through what I supposed was the main entrance. After a few seconds, Harry followed suit, and I after him.

"Isn't it just lovely?" I heard Louis say, "The two lovers, all alone between these empty walls, with no way to escape. It's a new, isn't it?" He glanced at me. "Stop looking at me like that, you're almost making me feel like a bad person."

He walked closer to us, and I stepped closer to Harry, gripping his hand again.

"You know what, I was so sure you were done for good after I told her the truth. But apparently, she's too damn understanding." He smirked when he saw Harry flinch at his words. "How many times can a man fuck up, and still be accepted by his girl? You could answer that question, Harry. But you know what, I think you're walking on the limit right now. I suggest you act like a good boy if you don't want to lose her." He circled us once, and stopped right in front of him. "What do you think she finds in someone like you, anyway? You're not funny, you're not particularly attractive, you basically have nothing on your side. I bet she stays with you out of pity. Because she feels sorry for you, you know. In fact, she's a pretty attractive girl. She could do so much better than a fuck up like you. I bet she could get the hottest men out there, if she wanted to. She's a quite decent person, unlike you."

"What do you want from me?" Harry asked calmly, even though I could hear the fierceness rolling in the depths of his voice. "Do you want to kill me? Is it what you want?" He let go of my hand, and moved a few steps forward. "If you want to do it, do it now. Because I'm tired of living like this."

Louis stared at him for a few seconds, and then he let out a sour laugh. "Kill you? What? Do you actually think I'm a murderer? No, I'm not like you." He reached him with a few strides, and stood in front of him, his head just a few inches away from Harry's. "No, that's not what I want. I want you to remember, every time you listen to music, that she no longer can. Every time you take a breath, that she no longer will. And, every time you enjoy the feeling of the warm morning sun over your skin, that she's trapped many feet underground, under a cold, dark layer of soil. And I won't stop until it will be engraved in your soul so deeply, that no amount of time will erase it. I want you to live in guilt every single day of your miserable existence, until the very last one."

I felt a cold shiver run down my spine at his words. I tried to catch Harry's reaction, but his back was turned to me, his body unmoving.

Louis didn't say anything else, letting his words sink in.

To interrupt the silence, there was only the sound of the heavy rain hitting the roof of the building, even though it was almost overpowered in my ears by the fast beat of my heart.

Louis walked past us, and slid out of the door.

Harry still hadn't moved.

"Harry?" I called out hesitantly, reaching out to touch his back.

He winced at my touch, and turned around.

"Are you okay?" I asked him studying his face, trying to understand what was going on inside his head.

"I want to go home" he only replied, walking out of the building without waiting for a reply.