Chapter 27

Assyria Brooks

It was somewhere around nine in the morning and I still hadn't been to sleep yet. I was far too paranoid.

I sat up and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, getting up to adjust the air with hopes that would help me fall asleep. Sliding my slippers on, I walked throughout my empty home to the hallway where the thermostat was located. Once I'd turned the air on, I was on my way back to bed until I heard knocking coming from the front door.

After waiting a good five minutes to see if the knocking would stop I decided to go ahead and open it to see Dakota leaned in the doorway staring down at her phone with a look of irritation.

Glancing up at me, she did a double take as she slid her phone in her pocket. We stared at each other for a while, both of us admiring the little things about the other.

Without saying any words, Dakota grabbed me by my waist and pulled me into her, holding me tightly as I laid my head against her chest. "I didn't think you'd be here so soon" I admitted, closing my eyes as I listened to her heart beat. "I meant it when I told you I'd be here. Ion fuck around when it comes to you" she says as we pulled away from each other.

Dakota smiled at me making my stomach flutter with butterflies. "How long are you staying?" I asked, stepping to the side so she could come in. "I haven't decided yet." She responded, taking a seat on the couch and picking up the remote to turn the TV on.

I sat on the couch opposite of her, watching as she tucked her bottom lip between her teeth and squinted her eyes to see better. I forgot how perfect Dakota is and couldn't stop staring at her.

Finally catching onto me looking at her, she glanced at me causing me to look away and squint my eyes at the TV as if I was really watching it. "Stop staring" Dakota mumbled, putting the remote down and moving so she was beside me now.

I rested my head on her shoulder, immediately getting comfortable under the warmth of her body.

"So where Keith at?" Dakota asked, purposely mispronouncing Kenny's name. Not even bothering to correct her, I shrugged my shoulders. "He'll probably stop by later on." I said, watching as she started to pull on one of her curls.

She looked like she was in deep thought and I knew it was only a matter of time before she started asking a series of questions.

"So you really haven't talked to your family after two months?" She asked me and I nodded my head.

"You should go and talk to them. I'll take you if you want me to" she offered and I smiled small. This was the nicest Dakota has ever been, seeing as how she was always getting irritated and ignoring me. She was the nicest rude person I'd ever met. 

Feeling a vibration against my leg, I looked at Dakota as she fished her phone out of her pocket and stared at the caller ID with a confused facial expression before she answered it.

She didn't say anything while the person on the other line was making threats. Laughing, she took the phone from her ear and ended the call in the middle of the person talking.

"I need to make a call real quick" Dakota said as she got up and went into the hallway. Due to the house being quiet, I could hear everything she was saying seeing as how she was slightly raising her voice.

I stretched out on the couch and flipped through different channels as I waited for Dakota to come back.

"You gon be okay here by yourself?" Dakota asked me and I looked away from the TV and at her, realizing she was about to leave.