Shadow

Sam, Dean, and I got out of the Impala dressed as alarm system employees.

"All right, this is the place." Sam said.

"You know, I've gotta say Dad, Katie, and I did just fine without these stupid costumes. I feel like a high school drama dork. What was that play that you did? What was it – Our Town. Yeah, you were good, it was cute." Dean said. I laughed.

"Look, you wanna pull this off or not?" Sam asked.

"I'm just saying, these outfits cost hard earned money." Dean said.

"Whose?" I asked with sarcasm.

"Ours. You think credit card fraud is easy?" Dean said. I rolled my eyes and we walked into the apartment with the landlady.

"Well, the police said they were done with the place, so..." The landlady said.

I turn to shut the door and notice the chain for the door was broken. I follow my brothers and the landlady into the room. There are spots of blood on the floor.

"You guys said you were with the alarm company?" The lady asked.

"That's right." Dean replied.

"Well, no offense, but your alarm's about as useful as boobs on a man." The lady said. I stifled a laugh.

"Well, that's why we're here. To see what went wrong and stop it from happening again." I said.

"Now, ma'am, you found the body?" Sam asked.

"Yeah." The lady replied.

"Right after it happened?" I asked. She looked at me suspiciously.

"You sure you're from the alarm company? She looks a little young." The woman said.

"Thank you but I'm new. 22." I said. She looked at me a couple more seconds before letting out a small sigh.

"No. Few days later. Meredith's work called—she hadn't shown up. I knocked on the door. That's when I noticed the smell." The lady said.

"Any windows open? Any sign of break in?" Dean asked.

"No, windows were locked, front door was bolted. Chain was on the door, we had to cut it just to get in." The lady said.

"And the alarm was still on?" I asked.

"Like I said, bang up job your company's doin'." The lady replied.

"Mmhmm. You see any overturned furniture, broken glass, signs of struggle?" Dean asked.

"Everything was in perfect condition—except Meredith.

"And what condition was Meredith in?" Sam asked.

"Meredith was all over. In pieces. The guy who killed her must have been some kind of a whackjob. But I tell you, if I didn't know any better, I'd have said a wild animal did it." The lady said.

"Ma'am, do you mind if we take some time? Give this place a once-over?" Sam asked. The lady agreed and left.

I pulled out my EMF reader and scanned the room.