Chapter 2: Family problems

I wander around in the open field, even though it’s a small rural village, there’s a lot of kids here. They were 3 boys throwing rocks at a tree, with my sharp senses, my eyes can see more than the naked eye. They were throwing at it because there was a bird’s nest on it. I went there immediately because I wanna stop them but they were already getting yelled at by the 2 young girls.

“Hey! Stop that!!” The girl in red dress along with her distinction bun hairstyle yelled.

“No! We must get the egg!” The boys weren't going to give up. They were throwing rocks at the tree continuously, the two girl didn't know what to do but until the black haired girl in the blue dress threw a rock at them instead of the tree.

“Don’t kill them!” She retorted, realizing what she had done, she went behind her friend. Reverting back to her timid self.

“You dare hit me! Let's see how you like it!” They were about to throw rocks at them, boys are so brutal! There wasn't any hint of hesitation in their eyes! Good thing I was already behind the two girls.

I caught all of the rocks that were thrown at them, all of the kids were shocked to the bone that I caught all of that with ease. It was fairly easy. In return I threw a rock back at their feet but the throw was powerful enough to make a mini hole on the ground, it was loud on impact. My mother saw me and she immediately pull my hand, she was mad.

We were back inside our home, mother who was frustrated put all the groceries on the table. Father was actually in the courtyard, he sense that his beloved wife is back. He went to greet her instead he was greeted with a punch on the stomach. It was enough to send him flying.

“How dare you!!! Didn't I told that our little one is not going to cultivate ever again!?” She was yelling on top of her lungs, it was enough to make my spine shives. Mother was always gentle and nice. I don't ever see her like this.

“I’m sorry! But I must continue the line of cultivation in our family!” He recover quickly from the dragon punch that mother did.

“Re-recover!? No! You know how dangerous it is! I thought we decided that we were going to live a life without any worry instead you're the one who's making the worry!” The argument was heating up to the point, mother was about to charge up to him with clusters of punches. Father was dodging them all with his defensive stance.

“It’s true that I said that but now that I think about, there are always many things to worry! There's no such thing as nothing to worry about in life!” Father caught one of her fist, when he caught her fist. He threw her to the courtyard. Unlike her, father was holding back because he doesn't want to hurt mother.

Mother recovered by landing on her feet, she looked at him with disdain, she ready to strike again. Mother was fast enough that I couldn't see her at all but father was powerful enough to react. Their fist were about to clash one another, it's gonna make a big *BANG* that actually cause an avalanche. I must stop and I know one thing that could them and that is crying.

I cried, when they heard the crying. They both stop like ice, mother immediately went to my side, wiping my tears off with her delicate fingers.

“Why is mother and father fighting?” I asked like any child would. The two of them just looked down on the ground like they were getting scolded.

“Father and I, we were just…talking that's all!” Mother reassured me but she wasn't really honest.

“Yes, me and mother were talking, not fighting at all!” Bad follow up right there, father needs to learn how to become better at communicating. As I child, I still need to act cluelessly.

“Why won't you go to your room? I’ll call you and Jing Lu.” She said as she patted my head, I nodded quietly as a response. I went upstairs, me and my big brother sleep in the room, he heard the commotion downstairs and decided to not stop his parents from fighting because he knows what they are like, when someone interrupts.

------------------------
An hour has passed, Tang Ming and Jing Lo weren't talking to each other. It was complete silence for an hour until the silence was broken by Ming.

“You still have all your scrolls and books? Didn't I told you to get rid of them?”

“I didn’t because even if we hide who we are, we will never be truth to ourselves, we took this path and we will never stray from it.”

“Fine, do what you want but if I see my child get hurt, I’ll never trust you again.”

Jing Lo nodded in response, knowing that his wife accepted the truth. He could finally openly teach her daughter to become a warrior

“But only for self-defense.” Hearing his wife blunt words, he immediately dejected at the idea. “Very well then, just self defense.” He responded while nodding.

---------------

I did what my parents told me, go to my room, me and my brother live in the same room because his room is being used for storage, the house wasn't big nor small, there aren't a lot of room, our backyard was a wide open courtyard. Brother was sitting on his bed, reading a book of scholars. “Brother! Brother!” I hurried to his laps and sat on it.

“You've gotten heavy Mei!” He said happily, I could never get tired of his smile, it brings me warmth. “Mommy and daddy are fighting.” I said. He patted my head gently, it felt nice.

“Don't worry about it too much, They'll become lovey dovey again.” His smiled reassured me. I never experience this much love and warmth, when I see them fight. It made my heart hurt like it was being stabbed by multiple needles.

“It's getting late, let's eat dinner and put you to bed.” He said as he closes his book. I don't want to sleep because in a couple of chapters, the tragic event will happen and I must become stronger to avoid that. I’ll sneak out when everyone's sleeping then cultivate. After dinner, Jing Lu put me to sleep by reading a bedtime story about a story of a dragon that wanted power.

The dragon did get his power by selling out his friends and family but was the power worth it? Of course not. He stayed alone for centuries, feeling lonely and sad. Never experiencing happiness for long as he could remember. The moral of the story is to never give everything you love for something that will only bring you misfortune and sadness.

A couple hours have passed, I was gonna go out and cultivate but my big brother was still awake, studying non-stop. It's almost morning too. I pretended that I wake up, I waddle towards big brother, hugging his leg.

“Brother, did you sleep?” I said while pretending to be drowsy. “I did, I just woke up early. So, I figured, might as well study.” He responded. Lies, you were awake all night long, so did I. He carried me back to bed and cover me with my blanket. “You should go back to bed and sleep.” he said while smiling. His eyes are so lonely. I tugged his sleeves.

“Alright, I’ll sleep beside you, I studied more than enough.” He lied down beside me on the bed, hugging me like a pillow while gently stroking my fuzzy hair. It feels heartwarming. “I love you big brother.” My vision was beginning to be blurry, inch by inch. I close my eyes and succumb to my slumber.