Chapter 19: The past and present

“Let me tell a bit of history of our empire.” Uncle Wei said.

In the powerful empire of Zhou, The sun continent was in a heated war with the moon continent, with the support of the Zhou empire, the sun continent and all of its vassals conquer the moon continent but later would turn into a bigger turmoil.

Years later, The countries that partook into the invasion of the moon continent were eager to see how much land were given to them but an unfortunate death happen. The death of Emperor Dao. The emperor that united the discord nations of the sun continent was hit by a stroke. His son, Prince Wang was a weak leader and indecisive man, not only he was ignorant and spoiled, his father’s work of unifying the land went to waste because of him.

With Prince Wang taking the throne from his deceased father, he ignored the countries demand of splitting the land among themselves instead he took it all. Not all of it, there was a neutral country, out of all the countries that that sun continent invaded and took, they ignored the country of  Yuèliang because they had an alliance and were close friends to the Empire of Zhou. Emperor Wang’s ignorance let him into thinking that they were just weaklings, this is where his downfall begins.

Not only he invaded the Country of the moon, he lost miserable in the beginning, loss more than he could chew, with the news reaching in the moon and sun continents. The Emperor of Zhou at the time was enraged, he sent his son there to be married to the princess. Knowing that the Dao empire invaded the country, he advances with his greatest army behind his back to accompany him to have a little chat with the new Emperor of Dao.

Emperor Wang wasn’t aware of this, he kept attacking and attacking, his army was starting to show disdain towards him, even his generals, everything was going south for him until one day, he broke through and went his way towards the palace.
“And then what? What?” Shi asked with curious eyes, “Calm down, calm down little Shi. This is where it all happens.” Uncle Wei smiled.

It was also the time of marriage for Princess Tang Ming and my big brother Zhou Lo which now goes by the name of Jing Lo now. “My father was a prince?” I asked, “Yes, he was, your father was also next in line into ruling the empire. Now returning back to the story.” Uncle Wei responded with a sad face. “He was a good brother.” he added.

Emperor Wang was a coward. He made a deal with the dark sect. With that deal, his army became powerful. With the news of the palace being sack and all of its royal were executed in public reached the Emperor of Zhou, he was bitter. He wanted settle it in a manner where there’s no bloodshed but now, he realize that the Dao empire was getting stronger. He was afraid of them invading his country next.

He went back home with the paranoia of his son and future daughter-in-law, he believe that they were still alive alongside with his wife. As the years went by, the countries that reside on the continent of the sun started to intergrade to the Empire of Dao due to this event, most people saw the dangers of being a citizen of the Dao Dynasty, they decided to move to the moon continent, this was also known as the first great migration.

Emperor Wang didn’t like this, so he increased the price of going on a ship to the moon continent, due to his reign, his people were poor and the economy was unstable, the poor paid more tax than the rich. At some point, he tried increasing the tax for the rich, he was a total fool. Revolt came after, The nobles supported the cause even though the relationship between two classes weren’t great but they knew if they didn’t stand up to the tyranny of Emperor Wang, all of them will meet the same fate of not having food on the table, not enough money to pay for their kids education nor have any place to live in, with the landlords paying a lot of tax, the people who lived in his/her land will pay more and work hard. The people will be unsatisfied to the point that they ran away to make their own land to live in, without the people. Landlords wouldn’t have the money to pay.