Chapter 7: Old Man Shifu

(Note: The picture that I posted of Jing Mei yesterday will not appear in this chapter, she was supposed to look that way in this chapter but a lot of ideas came out when I was taking a shower so. She will look like that in a couple chapters.)

It was morning, the sunlight bask my face from the open window, I got up from my bed, rubbed my tired eyes and head down stairs to the dining room.

“Good morn-” I was about to say good morning but nobody's here except for my father. I said it on reflex, it made me bitter.

Taking a deep breath, I cooked up stew from our leftovers, and went upstairs to go to father's room. I stood before his door, and clenched the wooden bowl out of hope that father will awake from his slumber, he's been like that for three days now.

I opened the door and saw him on his bed, sleeping. I put down the wooden bowl of stew on the wooden table beside his bed.

I sat down on his bed and tried to shake him, gently slap him on the face, “Father...Wake up...Please.” No matter what I do, he won't wake up.

At this rate he'll starve to death, In my previous life, I know that our human bodies slows down metabolism during slumber but I’m in a world where people can become gods.

At any rate, I shouldn't be worrying about feeding him, he's a Martial king after all but I can't help but worry. “Please wake up soon, the stew will get cold.”

I got up from his bed and went out of his room, slowly closing the door. I walked downstairs to prepare my own food. When I reached the kitchen, someone was knocking on the door, who could it be?

I went to check, I opened the door halfway and it was the old monk that visited me before or should I say Master Shifu. “What do you need respective elder?” I asked politely.

He stared at me in silence. It made me uncomfortable, “I could sense your strength, and it's quite strong.” He said, he was analyzing my power, as expected of the old man.

As a martial warrior myself, I could sense his strength, it made me terrified, in him I saw a celestial white tiger that could best an ancient dragon. It made me shivered.

“I’m sorry if I scared you little one.” He said, I was still hiding behind a half open door, he lowered down his pressure of his dominance and turn it into gentleness. I too lowered my guard.

“Is your father here? I need to talk to him.” He was asking about father but should I tell this man about what happened? He is still relevant to the story but his a minor character like me, this person is always being use as a reference.

“Umm...he..” I can't lie to this person, there's no benefit in telling a lie, wait. He's a monk, he might be able to heal father, a monk in this universe is different, they are not to be triffled due to their tough training methods that allows them to become Martial emperors at a young age, they also have a keen to healing arts. I fully opened the door and stared at him with pleading eyes. “Help my father! He's hurt.” I said.

“Go on, lead me to him” he patted my head with a smile and  I nodded. We went to my father's room.
He saw a man who was bedridden. “He's not waking up.” I went to touch the wooden bowl of stew that I left on the table, it's already this cold.

“Hmmm…” I don't know what he's doing? I guess he's probably asserting his meridians. “He's meridians seems fine. I’m sorry child but your father needs to go see a doctor in the Empire. We monks are experts on healing and fixing meridians.” He said. “There's also something that I want to tell you” he continues on.

Tell me something? “Tell me what?” I asked. He smiled and went downstairs to the dining room, I followed him.  Once I got there, I saw him sitting down on the chair and waiting for me.

“It’s important young child but for now, you are still young to learn the truth about your parents, let's first start at square one. I am your grandfather. The father of your mother.” My grandfather? Mother and father told me that they were dead a long time ago. “Sweet Ming probably told you that your grandparents were dead.” I nodded at his words.

“Grandfather….I…” I’m lost at words, so basically he's telling that he is Jing Lu and my grandfather, the legendary master Shifu. What a surprise! “I know you're confuse young'un” he smiled.

“I sense limitless potential in you and a hidden power that I don't see yet I can sense its power.” He's talking about my mana, what amazing observation. “My sweet granddaughter, let me take care of you.”

“What about father?”

“He’s too weak. Too weak in the land of the dead. He should be able to recover but he can't and that is why he's a failure of a warrior.” He's cold, harsh words strikes me. I didn't expect him to be hateful to father. Is he mad at him because he married mother?

“The choice is yours, pick well, little one. I’ll be back within a month.” He said as he got up. He puts down a pouch on the table and left, he closed the door and walk into the cold.

I opened the pouch and inside of it is a bunch herbs, and small note that says “Brew it well and let your father drink it.” I smiled as I read that. He's not that cold after all. I recognize that plants, all of this plants were from the Frozen lands of Wong, a haven for the rarest herbs that could cure any sickness.

I did what grandfather told me, I made it into tea. It took me awhile to make but in the end, It was well made. It smells nice but hopefully it can cure my father.

I went to his room, carefully not spilling the wooden cup of tea when going up the stairs, it was still hot, so I covered it with a layer of cloth so that my hands won't get burn.

"Father, wake up." I slowly put the edge of the cup onto his mouth while dragging his head backward with my other hand and lift up the cup so that some of the tea will go in his throat. A good portion of the tea drips from his closed mouth down to his blanket.

I put down the cup of tea near his cold stew, when I put the cup down, I heard a cough from father. He's alright! I couldn't help but cry a little bit.

He's breathing isn't weak anymore, his skin is warm, not cold like ice.

Thank you Grandfather. Thank you.