Chapter 8: A sad night

It's been a day since grandfather visited. He said he would be back next month. It made me curious, why didn't he ask where my brother is? Does he hate big brother too? I don't get it. Once again, I made stew to bring to father's room. He didn't eat yesterday, so I had to eat it. It was tasty but I prefer it to be hot rather than icy cold, I wish a microwave would appear out of nowhere.

I opened the door and saw him sitting up on his bed, “Ah. Good morning Mei.” He greeted, his voice was rough, dry. “Let me get you water father.” I said and he smiled but that smile, It was sad and lonely.

We don't have much water in the wooden container in the courtyard, I have to go to the well and refill it. I lifted the medium size container that was a bit taller than me on my back and head out to the middle of the village.

It cold and foggy. It looks so ominous, in this time of day, I would see people roaming around the street, children playing games. All I see is emptiness and white fog.

I walked down the snowy path with my sandals, it's cold, how do people in the ancient times coup with this?

I reached the well, the well was in good condition, I lifted the wooden lid that was covered with furs from wolves and bears, and put it on the ground gently, making sure that it won't hit the snow.

Conveniently there's already a bucket down the well. I lifted the bucket up and pour the water into the container until it's full. When it was full, I covered the top of the well with the wooden covered fur lid and went my way back home.

As I walk back to home, I saw people shutting their windows when I go near them. The villager's eyes looked at me with fear. The house on my right had their window open and there was the same girl that I met a couple days ago, the day where the boys were throwing rocks at the birds. She smiled when she saw me and waved her hand. Her mother pulled her back into the house, “Don't look at her. Stay away from the windows.” She said as she shuts the wooden windows with force.

I continued walking back home, did someone already spread the rumour of my mother being assassinated rather than death by the hands of illness? We haven't even told our neighbors yet, even so. They won't believe it. Some villagers were always jealous of my father and mother.

When I was about to reach home, I saw the two old couple standing on front of the door with a bowl of fruits. They were knocking on the door. “Can I help you with something? Elders?” I asked. The two smiled at me. “Here, take it. It's the least we can do.” The old lady said.

“But...what about your food?” I asked, there's not much food around here as of late, the caravan still hasn't return with a fresh vegetables and fruits.

“Don't worry about us old bones. Just take it little one.” The old man said, I couldn't help but accept it. I really didn't want it, they need it as much as I do but I can't turn them down when they went out of the way to go outside in the cold and gave me their fruits.

“Okay, Thank you!” I said with a smile. The two smiled back, I grabbed the bowl of fruit from their hands and bowed for them. The two went back to their home.

I opened the door and shut the door using my feet, I can't use my hands because I’m carrying a bowl. I went to the dining room and place it on the table, the medium water container was put in a bank of ice to cool off.

I went back to the kitchen to get a cup to scoop for the water, after I scooped it, I went back to the stove in the kitchen. What a hassle task. I never knew getting water would be so tedious. I have to get firewood in the chest beside the stove and place four of them inside of it.

Conveniently I could use fire magic to light it up. I placed the cup filled water and boil it for a couple minutes. After a couple minutes has passed, I grabbed the cup with white layered cloth on my left hand while the bowl of fruits on the right.

I went upstairs slowly and carefully. Good thing, father's door was open when I left. “Father I brought you water and our neighbor gave us a bowl of fruit.” I said as I put down the bowl of fruit on his table and handed him the water.

“I’m sorry for doing the handy work Mei, you're so young yet you're doing this tough task.” Father didn't realize that I’m a Martial soul general. He drank the cup of water and place the empty cup on the table, he patted my head and gave me a hug. I hugged him back.

“Brother left, he said that his going to the empire to learn medicine” What I just said was the half truth, he does go to the empire to train, not medicine but magic.

“I see, did he tell you when he will back?” He asked, I swayed my head left and right. *cough* *cough* Father was coughing really bad. “I….I don't have time left, I’m sorry little one.” His voice was weak.

“No! Don't leave me!” I was in tears, I won't let him die but I can't even use my healing magic right now because of yesterday. He put his hand on my cheek and smile. I hold his hand tightly, not wanting to let go.

“If you follow the snowy path down the mountain...You'll see an intersection, go left and never stop walking. Just...follow the path. *cough* *cough* Return to this place when you're older, there is something you want to see but not...right now.”

“What are you talking about father!? Don't leave me all alone! It's unfair! It's unfair! Brother's gone, mother's gone and you also?”

“You are so young…..I love you and I’m sorry…” He gasp for every air for his last words. He closed his eyes, his hand on my cheek loss the strength to hold on. I checked his pulse. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. I can't feel it.

I sat there, staring at my father's dead, lifeless body. I can't hear him breathing. He's not moving, he's not talking. I cried and cried for the whole night as a buried him beside mother. When I was done with the funeral of father, I put flowers on father and mother's graves, the moonlight shines upon their grave as I turn back.

I went to my room and lied down on my bed, I stared at the ceiling. My tears were uncontrollable. I tried wiping my tears off my It keeps coming.

“Why is fate so cruel?”