Chapter 12: Training

Me and Qing spar with each other as ordered from Grandfather. We have to find out about the flaws of our weapon and make it flaws small. I have a Katana against a sword but…

“Why are you so fast!?” I whined as I was getting pressure from the multiple attempted stabs from Big sister Qing's sword. “Heh, I wasn't slacking off for the last two weeks, Little sister.” she said.

But...I had weapon training from my previous life yet this is so different, I always practice alone, always perfecting my techniques without any help. Now, it's so different, so this what it feels like to have a partner.

“Ah.” She slipped, I pointed the sword on her face. “I win.” Qing pouted afterwards. “It seems I need more Ki training.”

“No...You need more work on your footwork. You keep on slipping because you are too focus on what's in front of you rather than what's on the ground.”

“My footwork? What's footwork?”

“It's your movement on your feet.”

“Oh.”

I looked to my left and saw Shi and Grandfather sparring with each other. I was shock, I thought Shi was being push back instead it was Grandfather. The fight looks fierce and ferocious that it might caught it the crossfire. Me and Qing went back a couple of steps to be safe.

“Good, Good!” Grandfather yelled while he was getting push back by the slashes of Shi’s Scythe. Grandfather escaped her slashes. Shi was panting heavily, she was about to lose grip on big scythe. “But you are inexperienced when it come to battle.” He went into a stance where put his sword on a head level, put his left leg in front and suddenly he disappeared from our sight.

He had his sword point on the forehead of Shi.. She felt on the ground afterward from the shock. “This is what you call Shadowstep. I overheard your conversation, Mei. Qing, Shi and Mei up front!” He yelled at us like a boot camp instructor.

“Mei, Ready your blade. You two watch.” he added. I unsheathe my blade, and ready my stance. “Mei is right, all of you need to work on your footwork. You need to have a balance on your upper and lower body, distributing equal amount of power Ki.” Grandfather suddenly attack me, I block all of his attempts, he backed up, is he doing that move again? No, something is different. He charged at me but suddenly disappearing halfway like a ghost, and started slashing towards me.

I blocked most of it but Grandfather smiled at me then I was immediately greeted with afterimages of the same moves. He was pushing me back, reading his moves was difficult to read but it is the same moves! Our swords clash, Shi and Qing were dumbfounded at our battle.

Grandfather lowered his hips down, going for a stab? No, a slash? Wait! What!? He caught me off guard, he created an afterimage of him slashing my stomach instead it was a stab. His tip of his sword was pointing at my neck. I gulped as I feel a cold sweat down my neck. “Well done! As expected of my Granddaughter!” He laughed as he sheaths his blade in his scabbard.

If this was a real battle, I would be dead by now. Never once in my life that I would feel death right up my spine. It was terrifying, if people like Grandfather exist in this world, I should be more careful in making enemies and allies.

“All of you, for this month, I would have you traverse the land of ice. Barefooted.” He said, Barefooted! Shi and Qing were shock, me on the other hand was excited. I like to move around a lot. It's great for exercise! “All of you should know how to contain your temperature by using your ki. Be prepare tomorrow morning. Every morning to afternoon, you will go out there and go walk the land. Avoid any spirit beast you come across. Killing those creatures will be next in our agenda. Dismissed.” he added as he leaves.

“I hate this.” The two said in unison.

“I love this.”

While the sister went back to their room, feeling miserable, I sharpened my blade in the courtyard while humming with excitement for tomorrow. I can't wait!

_______

“My feet hurts!” Shi cried, this morning, we were awaken by Grandfather and we were forced out to do our special exercise. He said to get out and get our own food, and be sure to go home by sundown. Also he threw us out in our PJs.

We've been walking around the mountains, inside and out. It's pretty out here despite the barren white wasteland, nothing but snow, mountains and strange caves.

“It's so cold..” Shi said as she shivered.

“Then grab my hand, little sister, you too, Mei.” Qing said, I wasn't cold but I did what I was told, I hold her hand tight. It's warm.

“Now that we're sharing Ki, we'll be warm for the entire trip.” She smiled, she wasn't wrong. This is effective only in groups. “Why are you doing this?” I asked

“Because we can keep ourselves warm of course.”

“No. Why are you selfless?”

“I’m not selfless, to tell you the truth, I too want Shi to keep herself warm but she still needs practice.”

“I’m sorry big sister.”

“It’s fine, it’s fine. I get to hold two of my cute little sisters.” She said with a smile. We walked the barren rocky lands of the snow without any proper footwear for winter. Avoiding creatures like the sabertooths by passing them with silence but I wasn't avoiding the sabertooth, instead I was hunting it, We need food and it's almost lunch time. We were behind some big rocks and in front of these rocks were Sabertooth tigers eating an animal that I barely recognize due to it being mauled by a family of beast.

They were taller and bigger than a tiger. No, they are way bigger than the sabertooth in earth. With a shoulder height of 200 cm and a length of 197 cm with a mass of 892 pounds. Blue slit eyes, white furs and two long tooth that could be use as weapons.

“What are you doing Mei? It's dangerous.” Shi said.

“I’m hungry, I want food.”  I said.

“Big sister told us to stay put, she's going to get us some food. Leave them alone and they will leave us.”

“But...I don't want to wait.”

“.......”

Shi had this look on her face, a face that I’m familiar of. Jealousy and anger.

“Why...Why are you so...Why does my sister like you more than me!”

She grabbed my collar and shove me against the rocky wall. She's strong. Her eyes turned fiery green, so fierce and with rage. I could sense her Ki being stronger than before.

“It's always you! You took her love from me from the very beginning.” She slowly grasps my neck with both of her hands and started to choke.

“Then….Kill me.” I responded, she had a puzzle look in her eyes. Tears were falling from her eyes. She shakes her head and let go of me. I hugged her.

“I don't understand you.”

“Neither do I.”

It was a warm moment but was interrupted by my stomach rumbling for subsistence. “Let's kill those Sabertooths, I’m hungry too.” Shi said

“Okay.” I let her go and we unsheathe our weapons and charged head on against the beast.