Chapter 9: The two sisters

Today, I say goodbye to my home that I lived in for 8 years. The dining room where we talk, ate and laugh. The bedroom where mommy told me and brother bedtime stories to the courtyard where I and father train.

The street where people adore mother and father is now filled with faces of fear as I walked down the dirt path through the small market. When they saw me, they would avoid me.

As I reach at the edge of the village. The three boys that I recognize threw rocks at me. “Get out of here! You fiend!” They yelled. One of the rock hit me on my upper forehead, it made fall down on the ground. They kept throwing rock at me to no ends. It hurts, I can't hurt them either, if I do it would only worsen my situation.

A rock was suddenly thrown at them, “Leave her alone!” It was the same girl from the time where she told them to stop throwing rocks at the birds. Behind her is her friend.

The rocks were hitting hard on the boys to the point they ran away. “Are you alright?” The girl who threw the rock first help me up.

“Thank you….Big sister.” I said as I look up to her, she was tall and pretty, behind her was cute and timid girl.
“I’m  Tang Qing and this is Tang Shi. We're sister.” She greeted. “I’m Jing Mei, nice to meet you.” I greeted back.

Big sister Qing was about 14 years old and Tang Shi is around my age, “Where are you going?” She asked with curious eyes.

“I don't know”

“It's dangerous if you don't know where you're going? I know that this is tough for you right now. You should live with us! How about it?”

Her enthusiasm was very persistent but why would you take me in?  You'll just be harass by the village.

“I can't, Father told me to follow a path.” I said, when I said that, she had this smiled that had me on guard, I don't know what she's thinking at all.

“I see. Well, it can't be helped then. Hopefully you get there.” She said. I nodded, I continue walking down the path as I wave back at them.

I don't know what they were doing but I’m grateful that someone has common sense to comfort me rather than avoid me like a plague. There's something strange about them. They have a sacks on their backs like me, it's like they are about to leave the village with me.

I continued to walked, each step I took, I heard footsteps behind me. I looked back, they stopped.

“Are you leaving too?” I asked, they nodded. “Is it fine? We don't have anywhere else to go too.” Qing responded.

“You can come with me.” With those words I continue my walk and they follow behind me, they were holding their hands to warm each other. I envy them. I want my brother to hold my hand in this iccy cold lanscape.

We walked for hours, and still no intersection in sight, it's getting really late, the sun will set soon. If we don't find a shelter soon, we'll be freezing to death out here.

I saw a cave on the horizon. “There's shelter, let's go over there.” I said as I look to the them while pointing my finger on the cave. They both nodded.

We ran towards the cave, not sparring any minute to stop, as we get closer and closer, the weather is getting worse. It's like a blizzard out here. I look behind me, I was glad that they were still behind me, I don't want to risk losing them. Instead of running to the cave by myself, I went back to grab both of their hands, as tight I could.

We finally reached the cave. We were all exhausted. Qing and Shi were gasping desperately for air. It's still cold. We didn't start a fire but luckily I have fire magic. I held my hands open and chanted a small fire ball, a fire enough to keep us warm and warm enough to not melt the snow that surrounds us. The two were dumbfounded when they say me to this.

I would like to keep my magic a secret but in this dire situation. It's either me or them, and I chose them.

“You know magic?” Shi asked with sparkling eyes. This the first time I heard her voice, she sounds cute.

“Father has books about it, even though he didn't have mana. He would read from time to time. So, I kinda also read it and somehow understand how to do it.” I laugh it off.

“But please keep it a secret.” I begged. “Don't worry, your secret safe with us. Big sister and little sister won't spill anything.” Qing said with a smile, follow by Shi nodding. If my magic is reveal to this society, they will kick me out and branded as a traitor, maybe even kill me.

In Martial art countries like this, magic is see as how cowards fight in this part of the world. It's for the weak. Even if they reveal it, I'll be lucky enough to be just an outcast.

As the storm pass by, so did the night. I had to stay awake for the entire night because I was the one provided the light and warm source for our survival. The storm subsided in the morning. We continue to follow the path. I was feeling light headed. “Little sister. Here, go on my back.” Big sister kneeled down and exposed her back to me. I nodded. I rode her back. Suddenly falling to slumber as we go on.

______________
Qing POV

Thanks to Little Wei, we survive for the night. All thanks to this little girl, this girl let some strangers come along on her adventure. No matter where you go or what you do. Know this Jing Wei, you'll be always our benefactor.

“Big sister, are you sure about this?

“Sure about what little sister?”

“About following her, what if...she doesn't know where to go.”

“Weren't we in the same boat as her? No matter what, I wanted to get out of that house.”

“But...But..”

“Shhhh….Little sister Wei is sleeping right now.”

We own you our lives.