Chapter 4; Dinner

Mackenzie's POV

Today is the dinner. Thursday was mostly a bore, but my friends are excited that I can hang out tomorrow.

This morning I woke up and did my hair, brushed my teeth, got changed and did my make up.

By the time I finished it was the usual time. I get my bag and grab breakfast fast. I run out the door.

"Mack!" John and Lauren shout, tackling me in a hug.

"What's up guys?" I ask as we walked to the bus stop.

"Nothing. You have the dinner tonight. Right?" John asked.

"Unfortunately, I do," I sighed.

"It'll be fine Mack, if you want the girls and I can come and help you get ready?" Lauren suggested.

"Nah it's fine. My mom will flip, apparently this dinner determines whether she gets a promotion or not," I explain.

"Hopefully she gets it," John said.

I smiled and nodded.

We get to the bus stop and meet up with everyone else.

"When's the dinner?" Brynn asked.

"It starts at six. Knowing my mom and them, it won't end till almost midnight probably," I stated.

"Yo that sucks," Hayden stated.

I shoot him a look that shuts him up. I roll my eyes and get on to the bus when it pulls up.

"I don't think I've ever wanted to shoot myself more than today. Plus they're kids are little assholes," I complain.

"Just think it's us," Jacob suggested.

"That'll make me want to shoot them more," I joked.

They pretended to be hurt, but they did laugh.

-

I get home from school and run up to my room. On my bed is the outfit mom bought me the other day.

There's a note next to the dress. I picked it up.

Mackenzie,
Here are your clothes. Get ready at 4:30, shave everything! Light makeup too. I don't want you to look emo with all your dark makeup
Love,
Mom xoxo

I rolled my eyes. I don't look emo. Do I? Whatever it doesn't matter.

I sighed and put my bag down and put Netflix on. I don't want to get ready, I don't want to deal with my mothers coworkers children.

I just ignore all the negatives in my head and focus on Friends. It kind of relaxes me. I get through about six episodes then I have to get ready for this stupid dinner.

I turn on the shower and strip from my school clothes. Once it's hot enough I step inside and wash my hair and body.

I shave as I was told to do, then I get out of the shower. I grabbed my phone and turned on the music. Blasting it throughout the room.

I look in the mirror and sighed. Guess I have to get ready.

-

It's currently 6:30. Everyone is here. I actually am thinking about jumping off the balcony. That's how bad I don't want to be here.

There's a total of five children. Two are 12. They're twins, Kylie and Nikki. One is 7, his name is Nico. Another is 10, that ones name is Ryan. The last one, is 5, his name is Lyle.

I actually am contemplating pushing the older ones off the porch. I like Lyle. He's cute, but all he talks about is paw patrol. And he loves me, that's why I'm his babysitter. So naturally he clings to me.